DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am a teacher who has recently returned to SW B.C., Canada from 17 years living abroad. I've had an interest in building/driving an EV since the early 2000s, maybe before. I've plans for the el chopper motorcycle that I planned to build when I was in Korea, but never got around to.

I own, but can't register a Rumble ebike... long bloodpressure raising story.

I'd like to build an ev and am thinking of converting rather than building... but why?

1. Don't like the disposable nature of modern cars.
I don't like all the electronic bling in modern cars, ev or not.

2. I'd eventually like to take it to the Philippines, so being able to DIY repairs and maintenance is essential.

3. I like projects....

My current musing is elecrrifyiñ a car I've generally made fun of for ages... a pt cruiser.

A local ev company CanEV does a kit for the Neon which shares the drive platform with the PT.

The PT Cruiser can haul stuff when we need.

It's a pretty simple car. I can be had cheap... could have had a decent car with a manual transmission and a decent body/interior for $400...but missed out. Recently saw one for $200(not so sure of the condition).

The road to our property is pretty crappy, so I would like to put a 3-4 inch lift kit on the PiT, which I'm not sure is available.

If I use it just around town,a 50 - 80 km range would be good.

If we use it out of town, I'd need at least 250 km. Maybe that could be from a range extendiñ trailer that would double as home power.

Also toying with the idea of a EV Dune buggy (Meyers Manx style).

Like I say, lots of ideas....

·
Administrator
6,161 Posts
Hi Welcome

I would say go for the Dune Buggy - the PT cruiser would just be like a Nissan Leaf only more expensive and less useful

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi Welcome

I would say go for the Dune Buggy - the PT cruiser would just be like a Nissan Leaf only more expensive and less useful
Ditto on the buggy. I have heard that PT's are pretty heavy to start with.

I don't know how bad your road is but between my two tents of a mile dirt driveway and the eight tenths of unpaved county road I manage to navigate it with my low slung X19.

I have been tinkering with a buggy for a while now.
Maybe after I get the downstairs bathroom remodel done I will get back to the buggy.

If you could find a good VW rail that is registered for the street it would give you a jump and help avoid some of the registration problems.

Good luck on you dream and don't give up.
It was over twenty years from the time I first read about electric cars and finally built one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gross weight of an ICE PT cruiser is about 3100lb. it is a bit of a brute, but close to the same weight as a Chevy S10.
Std vw is about 1850lb, and a Meyers Manx is 1350.
That said, a Leaf is about 3400lbs...

Weight is on my mind. I'm 6'3" and add almost another 300lb on my own.

A dune buggy has a lot of drawbacks too. The exposed cab is a bot of a security and weather issue. I would rather just drive my motorcycle but it's a PITA in the rainy season, so that's why the car. And I really want to make the switch.

Right now, a Leaf or Bolt is out of the question because nobody in Palawan has the expertise to fix anything that might go wrong on one. There are no service centres anywhere nearby.

So, a DIY project is more feasible. Lots of PT Cruiser parts and aftermarket stuff online. Closer to China for the electric drive and battery parts if something needs to be repaired/replaced.

I'm looking for simplicity in a build.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Duncan,
Thanks for the link to your 'device'. That was a great read!
Actually, I was looking at a Lotus 7 rep that was for sale. Nothing like the chassis you built, but a nice rig on its own. I would like something that could sit 4... A few dune buggies I've looked at are 4 seaters.

I've subscribed to your Dubious Device thread, and look forward to seeing what else you do with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts