DIY Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, I understand that, but by coincidence it includes a handy bit of steady-state data for a hint at the energy consumption situation.
Do I sense some doubts ? 馃檹 the car has 4 gear ratios, is used in winter and summer, sometimes for fun, sometimes for cruising. One day I'll find a flat circuit and smash the 200mile range. Until then 100 miles of fun filled back roads will do .

Registered
Do I sense some doubts ? the car has 4 gear ratios...
I'm just interested in the actual performance of the design, including the characteristics that might explain the surprising range as Duncan mentioned; I'm not questioning the range that has been reported.

To my list of post #14, I should add "gear ratio selection", since shifting can select the most efficient of four possible motor speeds for each road speed and load condition.

Registered
Anything over 100 miles in a DIY EV is impressive in my book. How/did you implement regen? I am planning on using the 1-pedal system for my build, but I am not sure if I am going to add multiple regen profiles. There seems to be a lot of pessimism about regen, but a 10% boost in range with no weight penalty seems like it is worth a little extra work.

Registered
There seems to be a lot of pessimism about regen, but a 10% boost in range with no weight penalty seems like it is worth a little extra work.
The data in post #16 (which I realize was not intended to illustrate regen) shows some substantial negative currents (that is, regenerative braking output) under deceleration. There certainly is some potential there. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Anything over 100 miles in a DIY EV is impressive in my book. How/did you implement regen? I am planning on using the 1-pedal system for my build, but I am not sure if I am going to add multiple regen profiles. There seems to be a lot of pessimism about regen, but a 10% boost in range with no weight penalty seems like it is worth a little extra work.
In the Tau / SME software which comes with the hyper9 there are 3 profiles, each configurable with a different regen %. These can be switched from the compact display 'ESH button as below..

The Tau software can control a huge number of settings - I'm still tweaking it.
.. for example I'm trying to work out how to switch regen profiles by switches rather than display (ideas ??) ... that's one of the Q's question posed on a new 'Hyper9 thread' waiting for approval in 'Motors' section where I am hoping all hyper9 tips, experiences etc independent of conversion, such as this, can be slotted. .. Once approved I'll link here.

Attachments

Registered
Yeah, a thread for Hyper 9 questions is a good idea. I did not get the display, so I am hoping to get everything set up the way I want on a computer, and then hopefully not need to fuss with too much after that. I went back and looked, and there do seem to be wires in the main harness that handle regen profile selection. Main wiring diagram, page 6. k1-18 and k1-19 are switched to ground to select profiles 2 and 3 respectively.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah, a thread for Hyper 9 questions is a good idea. I did not get the display, so I am hoping to get everything set up the way I want on a computer, and then hopefully not need to fuss with too much after that. I went back and looked, and there do seem to be wires in the main harness that handle regen profile selection. Main wiring diagram, page 6. k1-18 and k1-19 are switched to ground to select profiles 2 and 3 respectively.
You are absolutely right .. profile 1 can have no regen, and alternative regen %'s can be assigned to Profiles 2 & 3 ... and the on/off digital switch inputs can also be assigned. This mean's (I hope) I can use spare wire in the loom like to K1-7 ... I just never got round to properly checking it out (too much fun testing/driving ) :)

Mods - PLEASE can you approve 'The Hyper9 thread' (I'm not fussed to be 1st author - its just needed - as there is all sorts of Hyper9 info dotted about the forum but not in one place) . Hyper9 is getting a very popular drop in system.
I am still in awe of the Tau software. I wonder if Dana's other TM4 products use it eg their 150Kw motive motor/inverter ?? (but getting that into the non oem space may be the challenge :unsure:)

Registered
Mods - PLEASE

I don't know if we even have moderators anymore. The overloards never pay attention to us. Volunteer mods don't get notifications anymore.

I think Duncan still has mod priviledges, but not announcements, so he has no idea what he has to do.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts