DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a prestolite Series wound motor at 82lbs.

I have Connected the motor to a Evnetics Solition Jr. 600amp Controller, and i am running it at 600amp.

Ive added 20s1p (72v) Lithium Ion batteries and they easily deliver 600amp.

The gokart's gear ratio is 1:1.

The problem is that its not doing burnout before 480amp and thats without me in it.
And with me in it, its alot weaker even when drawing 600amp.
Im very frustrated because this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KObUDN7pMcE

Is running 500amp at 110v. 1:1 ratio and are doing INSANE burnouts and speed even with less amp. He got the same motor as me.

Someone have any idea whats wrong?

Thanks alot for all replies!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The comments say he's running 1.25:1 gear ratio. Dunno if that's enough to account for what you're experiencing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The comments say he's running 1.25:1 gear ratio. Dunno if that's enough to account for what you're experiencing.

No faar from it. I was running 2.25:1 before. It went better, but still not the way he is. im FAAR from it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean, mine is REALY slow compared to his starting torque. He has abit wider tires.
Mine are hard, old, cold (since im in Norway) and that would equal easier slipping.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Sounds like primarily a ratio problem. Typically karts run 4 or 5:1. Also, could be excessive brush advance. What is motor part#? Photo of motor?

major

ps. Be careful. If chain breaks or comes off at full throttle, motor is likely to blow up.

·
Administrator
6,141 Posts
Hi Pota

You need to go into your controller's setup menu - something is wrong! -

I suspect that the controller is either de-rating because of voltage sag or the ramp up is set too slow

Go into setup and make sure that all of the settings are ok

·
Registered
124 Posts
The problem is that its not doing burnout before 480amp and thats without me in it.
And with me in it, its alot weaker even when drawing 600amp.
is this 600amp what you confirmed by the settings in the Soliton controller, or something you confirmed using a current sensor on your batteries?

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that solitons have some safety feature so what you set might not be what it is actually pulling through the controller. you need to do some changes in the settings page of the controller.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
No Major, shouldent be a problem. The man on the video is going for 1.16 : 1 .... And it BURNOUT like hell... He has the Paul And Sabrina 500amp controller, Mine is 100amp more.

Yes he is using 110v and i 74v. But the difference is INSANE, mine wont start to spin without me in it, before hitting 480amp... And with me sitting in it, its alot slower and ofc wont burnout...

Im using the Evnetics logging. It says im pushing 600amp throttle and 595 + - motor amp. I used the logging while standing still and throttle it to max AND while running with me in the kart.

There must be something wrong, but im still unsure what :S

Controller settings looks good. 600amp battery and motor. 25000amp/sec increase when pressing full throttle.

Its a Prestolite MTY4001RU (Remanufactured). It weights 86lbs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Note. this is the same motor. But with paul and sabrina 500amp controller, that would be 100 less than the Evnetics Soliton Jr. and he has around 1:1 gear ratio. He do uses 110v but the difference as stated earlier is INSANE. Ive tried 84v.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGwtqgN_7no
Something isn't adding up. You should get a clamp meter or something and see what it reads. 500 amps is a lot for a vehicle like that. I dont think you're getting near that much juice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Note. this is the same motor. But with paul and sabrina 500amp controller, that would be 100 less than the Evnetics Soliton Jr. and he has around 1:1 gear ratio. He do uses 110v but the difference as stated earlier is INSANE. Ive tried 84v.

Something isn't adding up. You should get a clamp meter or something and see what it reads. 500 amps is a lot for a vehicle like that. I dont think you're getting near that much juice.

So true. Its very very strange. Ill buy a clamp meter tomorrow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it isent the amp delivery. And that is ok. What could it be. Something wrong with the series wound motor? In that case. What?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay, the results are in, ive bought a clamp-meter.

I tested it now at 12s1p. around 48v.

At full throttle it started to spin the wheels at 480amp. 1:1 gear ratio. This test is done by placing the GoKart against the wall with noone sitting in it. Ill guess its around 60-80kg weight at the back wheels.

Full amp peak was 662amp.

Well, that would conclude that the controller is in good shape. But what could it be then.
What in the motor could make it so damn much too weak? I mean, this is a series wound motor, and they should have the greatest torque capacity.

I mean this guys running 1.16:1 gear ratio with only 500amp. and same controller.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Some thoughts:

Are you sure it is series wound? Not SepEx.

Is it wired correctly? Please post photos of the installation.

Are you willing to do a stall test to measure the actual torque? Need a torque arm on the wheel and spring scale. Measure motor amps and hold on for just a few seconds so you don't damage (lift) comm bars under the stationary brushes. Torque wrench could work as long as it tends to tighten axle nut.

major

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Some thoughts:

Are you sure it is series wound? Not SepEx.

Is it wired correctly? Please post photos of the installation.

Are you willing to do a stall test to measure the actual torque? Need a torque arm on the wheel and spring scale. Measure motor amps and hold on for just a few seconds so you don't damage (lift) comm bars under the stationary brushes. Torque wrench could work as long as it tends to tighten axle nut.

major

First of, thanks for all the help guys, this means so much to me.

Here are some pictures of my motor and brushes.
Its a Prestolite MTY 4001. 7.2inch wide, 86lbs.
A total of 8 brushes.

On the right side of the motor is the connection S-1 in upper right and S-2 i lower right. A-1 in upper Left and A-2 in lower left.

Ive connected it in the following way.
Plus to S-1
S-2 to A-1
Ground to A-2

Ive added multiple pictures

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,141 Posts
You are well down on torque - as in 80% down

But you are drawing the current
The only thing that I can think of is that the motor has had it's brushed advanced and somebody has dropped a cod

I have 8 degrees of advance on my motor - that has the effect of dropping the initial torque by about 20%

I believe that 45% of advance would essentially mean that the motor delivered zero torque

So my 8 degrees drops initial torque by about 20% - I do get it back at about 60 kph

- 30 degrees would probably drop your torque by about 80%

That the ONLY thing that I can think of that would allow the current through without giving you the torque

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are well down on torque - as in 80% down

But you are drawing the current
The only thing that I can think of is that the motor has had it's brushed advanced and somebody has dropped a cod

I have 8 degrees of advance on my motor - that has the effect of dropping the initial torque by about 20%

I believe that 45% of advance would essentially mean that the motor delivered zero torque

So my 8 degrees drops initial torque by about 20% - I do get it back at about 60 kph

- 30 degrees would probably drop your torque by about 80%

That the ONLY thing that I can think of that would allow the current through without giving you the torque
Ohhh, sounds reasonable. But by looking at my brushes. Can you say something about if it Advanced?
And how do i diagnose the problem, and what do i do to advance them?

·
Administrator
6,141 Posts
Look at the bolts that hold the field coil laminations in place

They should line up with the brushes for neutral timing - when I say the brushes I mean the middle of the contact patch on the armature

Post some pictures showing the brushes and the bolts for the field coils in the same picture and I hope that a real expert like Major will chime in

It is possible that the current is going through the wrong path (shorting) but I would expect 500 amps to spark and smoke

·
Administrator
6,141 Posts
Look at the bolts that hold the field coil laminations in place

They should line up with the brushes for neutral timing - when I say the brushes I mean the middle of the contact patch on the armature

Post some pictures showing the brushes and the bolts for the field coils in the same picture and I hope that a real expert like Major will chime in

It is possible that the current is going through the wrong path (shorting) but I would expect 500 amps to spark and smoke

1 - 20 of 75 Posts