DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the 4P modules... There are two. 7.4kWh and 8.5kWh. Only the length and weight are different.

7.4kWh:
Height: ~5"
Width: ~13.5"
Length: ~19" (with connectors)
Weight: ~80lbs

8.5kWh:
Height: ~5"
Width: ~13.5"
Length: ~22" (with connectors)
Weight: ~88lbs

Wood Gesture Bumper Flooring Asphalt

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Gas Electrician Engineering Wrist Font

Orange Wood Building Asphalt Gas

·
Registered
103 Posts
I dropped some cells off at Orion BMS last week and they are characterizing them for us so I should have some accruate data soon... But, around ~30VDC for 4P and ~60VDC in our reconfigured 2P modules. Note: There is also a 3P version supposedly available (although I am not sure how this would fit into the bus bar set-up I have seen so I think there might be some misinformation out there).

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
The same cells are used in all Mach-E modules, and the cell length and width plus module construction design determine those roughly 13.5" width and 5" height shown, so those two dimensions apply to all four module sizes.

Standard range (96S3P, for 288 cells total):
eight 10S3P modules, plus​
two 8S3P modules​
Extended range (94S4P, for 376 cells total):
ten 8S4P modules, plus​
two 7S4P modules​

There is also a 3P version supposedly available (although I am not sure how this would fit into the bus bar set-up I have seen so I think there might be some misinformation out there).
No, it's not misinformation. It just has three cell tabs welded to each end of the connecting plates, instead of four.

The Munro Live battery teardown video in YouTube shows the module construction details. These are the 3P modules of the standard-range variant, so they vary from the 4P modules (of the extended range variant) only in length and weight (due to the number of stacked cells) and how many tabs are welded to the collector plates (using Sandy's term). Each collector plate connects two cell groups, so it needs to attach to 6 cells (for 3P) or 8 cells (for 4P); it has only four places to weld tabs, so each place has one or two tabs welded to it. See starting at 5:23 in the video for module construction details. It's convenient (and I think amusing) that positive and negative tabs are visibly different colours at the welds, so you can see that each plate connects the positive tabs of one group of cells to the negative tabs of the next group of cells.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The same cells are used in all Mach-E modules, and the cell length and width plus module construction design determine those roughly 13.5" width and 5" height shown, so those two dimensions apply to all four module sizes.

Standard range (96S3P, for 288 cells total):
eight 10S3P modules, plus​
two 8S3P modules​
Extended range (94S4P, for 376 cells total):
ten 8S4P modules, plus​
two 7S4P modules​

No, it's not misinformation. It just has three cell tabs welded to each end of the connecting plates, instead of four.

The Munro Live battery teardown video in YouTube shows the module construction details. These are the 3P modules of the standard-range variant, so they vary from the 4P modules (of the extended range variant) only in length and weight (due to the number of stacked cells) and how many tabs are welded to the collector plates (using Sandy's term). Each collector plate connects two cell groups, so it needs to attach to 6 cells (for 3P) or 8 cells (for 4P); it has only four places to weld tabs, so each place has one or two tabs welded to it. See starting at 5:23 in the video for module construction details. It's convenient (and I think amusing) that positive and negative tabs are visibly different colours at the welds, so you can see that each plate connects the positive tabs of one group of cells to the negative tabs of the next group of cells.
Actually, you are correct. You can even see the 3P8S engraved on the plastic.
Automotive tire Window Grey Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
The module width (about 13.4" according to the tape measure) is about the same as the Chevrolet Bolt module width, but the height (about 4.8" or 122 mm) is taller than the Bolt (109 mm) because the larger cell (about 70 Ah instead of 56 Ah) is wider. Cell thickness and module stack length per cell is roughly similar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts