DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a moment of overthinking I shortened my battery box and now my cables won't fit using the common straight compression ring terminal. I really need a terminal that is bent 90 degrees sideways (instead of up and down). I saw a picture of one once but haven't found any sources. As best as I can tell, high quality ring terminals are a thick copper tube squeezed then tinned. Is that right? So why can't I make my own? Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you for your answers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's exactly what they are (tinning isn't really necessary either).
I think there may be slight differences in copper alloys, lugs being made out of slightly softer metal because of the required forming. If you can form it correctly you should be fine - it takes a lot of pressure of course, a good hydraulic crimper should be able to do it.
However your required shape is pretty strange, maybe you could use a short copper bar and bolt a lug to it? (assuming I'm visualizing it correctly).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brian_ Thank You! This was probably the terminal I once saw a picture of. I never thought of calling it an elbow lug. Googles right up you type that in. I shortened the box only an inch, but that was enough to make the cable bends put tension on the terminals. Problem solved. Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mechanical lugs are connectors used to connect cables together, and they form an important part of the household electrical system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I received lots of info from other sources that I’d like to share here in condensed form:
  • Mechanical lugs can be used in Non-Vibration environments. So, NOT in your car.
  • Do not make your own lugs. They will be inferior to factory unless you can duplicate the thickness of the compression shell. The amount of current through the cable must be matched by the ability of the lug to take the current. The copper tubing you can buy is not thick enough, though you might mill your own.
Hope this is useful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts