DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I have been lurking about for some time now, and finally decided to get going with this...

here is what I have...

Pardon the blasphemy for posting such hideousness in here, but it'll give a good indication of the level of my petroleum addiction... Though I have to add, it's more of a speed addiction, just that dyno-juice is readily available, all be it at an increasingly more stupendous price-point.

here is the plan, I do not really want to go cold-turkey on my V8 , I love this engine too much still...

All I want to do is, catch some of the energy lost while braking, and then dump it back into the next pull off.

So what I was thinking is, get an AC motor and controller, that can do regen-Braking.
Install the motor in place of the floater bearing in the prop-shaft, behind the gearbox, and then do some weird stuff with the throttle/ TPS on the engine, in order to control the electric motor in conjunction with the petrol engine.

as well as when brakes is applied, to do the recharging of the batteries.
Basically, get the stop-start/stop-start thing, not as wasteful as is the case at the moment.

I'm thinking of starting small, on the battery pack, one can always expand later. And then eventually, when I'm fully addicted to the torque curve, one can always just dump the v8 for another AC-motor into the front of the car.

My question is this... Am I missing something critical with this way of thinking or has this been done before? and am I good to go?

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Hi everyone.

I have been lurking about for some time now, and finally decided to get going with this...

here is what I have...

Pardon the blasphemy for posting such hideousness in here, but it'll give a good indication of the level of my petroleum addiction... Though I have to add, it's more of a speed addiction, just that dyno-juice is readily available, all be it at an increasingly more stupendous price-point.

here is the plan, I do not really want to go cold-turkey on my V8 , I love this engine too much still...

All I want to do is, catch some of the energy lost while braking, and then dump it back into the next pull off.

So what I was thinking is, get an AC motor and controller, that can do regen-Braking.
Install the motor in place of the floater bearing in the prop-shaft, behind the gearbox, and then do some weird stuff with the throttle/ TPS on the engine, in order to control the electric motor in conjunction with the petrol engine.

as well as when brakes is applied, to do the recharging of the batteries.
Basically, get the stop-start/stop-start thing, not as wasteful as is the case at the moment.

I'm thinking of starting small, on the battery pack, one can always expand later. And then eventually, when I'm fully addicted to the torque curve, one can always just dump the v8 for another AC-motor into the front of the car.

My question is this... Am I missing something critical with this way of thinking or has this been done before? and am I good to go?
Sure, it's been done before. It is a parallel hybrid and most often employed for energy recovery/launch assist. You describe a post transmission coupled dynamo. When done properly on large commercial vehicles like delivery trucks and shuttle buses, with like 8 stops per mile, it can reduce fuel consumption and emissions up to 25%. It is actually a detriment to steady speed use like highway travel. It is mostly used in a charge sustaining mode but can be plug-in if the energy storage is up-sized.

I don't know the intended use for your truck, but I doubt you'd realize any economy from the conversion and it would be costly, complex and rob any payload you have. The post transmission coupled dynamo should have gear reduction otherwise it will be excessive massive or lacking power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah good
The truck is being used mostly for stop-go driving, and then pulling my other toys to the track every so often...

by geared reduction, would the differential ratio of 4.3:1 in my case ,not be the same thing. at the moment, when cruising at 120Km\h in 4th gear (1:1) I'm sitting at 3750RPM, meaning the motor, being part of the prop-shaft, will also be at that rpm, and it should be perfect for high way cruising,

as for battery location, I think the best place for it will be in the floor of the load-bay, sunken in, so that it's flush with the floor, leaving the load capacity untouched. Also keeps the batteries close to the motor/controller, for shorter cabling.

as for costs, sure, it's going to cost a bunch, but then I was somehow able to justify the 7G's++ I spent on the engine up to now, if only I had seen the light before I started with that... where would I be now...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts