DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...I'm James stuck in sunny Vegas. Las, that is. Of the Nevada desert. Not to be confused with the one in the Mexico that is New.
Well I'm a full time mechanic. Worked on F-22s in the Air Force. My electrical diagnostic skills are better than most in my head...By that I mean I may not understand or even know the right words for the actions but given a multimeter and my PowerProbe ill find and fix the problem...but I need to dive into these electrical drive trains since inevitably I will be working on these because I work in a local shop that works on everything.
So here I am about to dive into a E vehicle build so as to learn how the systems are to work in principle so I can understand how the more complicated or in some case just separated weirdly in the consumer vehicle. My thoughts anyways.

Short term build:
I've done research and I know how inefficient they can be but they free. Alternator motor. My first goal is to built an Alternator motor to put on probably a bicycle because free. I have a gen 2 Prius hybrid battery I can use. I know not the best by far but again free. And use a 20-30 Amazon controller to make a e-ride that can do atleast 20 mile distance on a charge...preferably a 25-30 cruising speed but I'd settle on 15-25 if possible. My Durango gets 11mpg and its killing me.
Long Term Build:
Use the trans with MG2 from a Prius. From my reading it puts out 300ftstq...please correct if wrong...want to use that to direct drive, ill math put a step ration when further along, to a small transfer case from a Mercedes S550...because free...and make a small off road 4wd dune buggy. Goal is atleast an hour or 2 ride time speed not a care just want to be able to climb some schtuff. I know batteries are the most expensive part of these builds from my understanding.

·
Administrator
6,310 Posts
Hey all...I'm James stuck in sunny Vegas. Las, that is. Of the Nevada desert. Not to be confused with the one in the Mexico that is New.
Well I'm a full time mechanic. Worked on F-22s in the Air Force. My electrical diagnostic skills are better than most in my head...By that I mean I may not understand or even know the right words for the actions but given a multimeter and my PowerProbe ill find and fix the problem...but I need to dive into these electrical drive trains since inevitably I will be working on these because I work in a local shop that works on everything.
So here I am about to dive into a E vehicle build so as to learn how the systems are to work in principle so I can understand how the more complicated or in some case just separated weirdly in the consumer vehicle. My thoughts anyways.

Short term build:
I've done research and I know how inefficient they can be but they free. Alternator motor. My first goal is to built an Alternator motor to put on probably a bicycle because free. I have a gen 2 Prius hybrid battery I can use. I know not the best by far but again free. And use a 20-30 Amazon controller to make a e-ride that can do atleast 20 mile distance on a charge...preferably a 25-30 cruising speed but I'd settle on 15-25 if possible. My Durango gets 11mpg and its killing me.
Long Term Build:
Use the trans with MG2 from a Prius. From my reading it puts out 300ftstq...please correct if wrong...want to use that to direct drive, ill math put a step ration when further along, to a small transfer case from a Mercedes S550...because free...and make a small off road 4wd dune buggy. Goal is atleast an hour or 2 ride time speed not a care just want to be able to climb some schtuff. I know batteries are the most expensive part of these builds from my understanding.
Welcome!
Building for FUN is the way to go
As long as you don't expect to actually save money you can have great fun faffing about with electric vehicles

Think of it as "Hot Rodding" - 21st century style

If you do want to save money - buy a second hand production EV !

Batteries - batteries from a crashed production EV are by far the best and cheapest source

1 - 2 of 2 Posts