DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be increasing my nominal pack voltage from 168VDC to 217VDC.

Currently, I am using an Airpax breaker as the mechanical emergency disconnect -- but it is only rated at 160VDC…
http://store.kta-ev.com/circuit_breakers_fuses_safety_switches/airpax_250amps.aspx

I like having a switch type (purely mechanical) breaker as an emergency disconnect -- but have not been able to find one with the appropriate ratings.

I am aware of the Kilovac contactors -- is there a mechanical type of breaker that will work with my new configuration.

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts

I like having a switch type (purely mechanical) breaker as an emergency disconnect -- but have not been able to find one with the appropriate ratings.
this is right around where a typical photovoltaic array disconnect is rated... try looking on PV sites.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

Currently, I am using an Airpax breaker as the mechanical emergency disconnect -- but it is only rated at 160VDC…
http://store.kta-ev.com/circuit_breakers_fuses_safety_switches/airpax_250amps.aspx

I am aware of the Kilovac contactors -- is there a mechanical type of breaker that will work with my new configuration.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Hey Zug...check out post #118 on my thread. 250 volts DC, adjustable trip limits, cable to remote set/reset and shunt trip...which is a really nice way to wire up the red mushroom button in the cab....

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/good-ohmn-here-we-go-23492p12.html?highlight=breaker

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Zug...check out post #118 on my thread. 250 volts DC, adjustable trip limits, cable to remote set/reset and shunt trip...which is a really nice way to wire up the red mushroom button in the cab....

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/good-ohmn-here-we-go-23492p12.html?highlight=breaker
Thanks for the tip DIYguy.

I found one of these (Cutler-Hammer KDB2400) on eBay and it certainly will do what I asked. I really like that I can break both legs of the battery pack.

What surprised me the most was how big and heavy it is. Since this is going into a car, I was hoping for something smaller and lighter -- but if I can't find anything smaller, I will find a way to make it fit. I know, some people are impossible to please ;)

For comparison, the AirPax breaker is rated at 160VDC @ 250 amps, weighs about 1.75 lbs and measures 7" x 1.5" x 3"

This Cutler-Hammer breaker is rated at 250 VDC and 400 amps. weighs just short of 10 lbs and measures 10" x 5.5" x 3.5" -- it's much bigger in person than it appear in pictures. I've attached a picture of the two for a size comparison.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
That's a nice looking breaker.

It looks like the sort of thing that should give a satisfying 'kerdunk' when the lever is flipped.:D

Where are you going to put it? It's not really pretty enough to be visible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like the sort of thing that should give a satisfying 'kerdunk' when the lever is flipped.:D

Where are you going to put it? It's not really pretty enough to be visible.
It makes quite a 'kedunk' when flipped.

I will put it under the hood near the controller -- not totally sure exactly where it's going to fit.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Hey Juglet,

Mine is actually smaller at 10"x4"x4". Its rated at 250 amps 600VAC/250VDC. Model HMCP2LWS10. still big enough, but narrower than yours. Probably a few pound lighter also. I put mine behind my Soliton and u cant see it unless u look. One other nice thing is the set-able instantaneous trip current limits. Mine has settings A thru I, 9 settings. The lowest one being 1125 amps and highest being 2250 amps. I have mine set on the lowest setting and have tripped it about 4 times... :))) (I'm rather proud of that.... ) lol
U'll love the remote shunt trip also.

It is rather large...but there is no other breaker I've seen at 250VDC. The guys running higher voltage don't typically use a breaker from what I've read.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
It makes quite a 'kedunk' when flipped.

I will put it under the hood near the controller -- not totally sure exactly where it's going to fit.
Maybe not a bad idea to have it automatically trip any time you pop the hood as a safety feature? That way you could just have the hood pop cable in series with the breaker - first detent, breaker; second detent, hood. That would preclude the necessity for a new and possibly ugly lever inside the cabin.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Maybe not a bad idea to have it automatically trip any time you pop the hood as a safety feature? That way you could just have the hood pop cable in series with the breaker - first detent, breaker; second detent, hood. That would preclude the necessity for a new and possibly ugly lever inside the cabin.
Not too handy for working on stuff.
I did hook up the lever and mounted it under the hood. It has a lockout hasp which is nice. It has remote shunt trip so, you connect this to a mushroom button inside the cabin. That's it. :)

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
Not too handy for working on stuff.
I did hook up the lever and mounted it under the hood. It has a lockout hasp which is nice. It has remote shunt trip so, you connect this to a mushroom button inside the cabin. That's it. :)
But it would be safe.
You could still reset the trip after the hood is propped open if you needed to power up.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
But it would be safe.
You could still reset the trip after the hood is propped open if you needed to power up.
Yes - that is what I was trying to say. Most hood releases are spring-loaded, so once you let go of the lever you could re-set the breaker if you actually intended to have full power available.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Any sources for these breakers? Only one on ebay i could find was 1500usd :eek:
Yes, they aren't cheap. Look for any place that has used automation for factories, particularly spot welding panels. I guess, u don't have much in the way of manufacturing there any more though eh? Isn't it becoming the IT capital of the world or something>? I have another one...but I don't really want to part with it.. :eek:

As for the hood switch... for sure, it would work and be safe, yup. All depends what u like. You would just have to have a way to reset the switch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts