DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , now I'm making female type 2 3d print as I mentioned in my e BMW project. So this is new thread for particular project. I made few printing and optimisations in order to get proper connection. Some modifications were also done on my 3d printer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What filament are you using ? One of my concerns regarding 3d printing power connectors is temperature rating / flammability of the materials. By definition, plastics suitable for 3d printing have fairly low temperature ratings. Otherwise great job, hopefully you're posting your sketches to thingiverse.com ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my own work. Printing surface is cca 370X370x390 , but I'm not heating all 4 plates , only 2 for now. I didn't have need for that and need to put stronger power supply.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Very nice!

Where'd you get the pins,

what do you think the max current handling can be,

and at what temperature rise on the pins?

As a suggestion, even though it's more money, you might think about using fire retardant ABS filament if this isn't already.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice!

Where'd you get the pins,

what do you think the max current handling can be,

and at what temperature rise on the pins?

As a suggestion, even though it's more money, you might think about using fire retardant ABS filament if this isn't already.
Tnx,
I'm making pins from steal and brass on the machine. I think resistance should be the same as original . They are fitting whell , Material is material... 6mm metal pin should handle a lot of power. I didn't try more then 3 kw, i don't have so strong charger yet. And dobody complained at all.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Tnx,
I'm making pins from steal and brass on the machine. I think resistance should be the same as original . They are fitting whell , Material is material... 6mm metal pin should handle a lot of power. I didn't try more then 3 kw, i don't have so strong charger yet. And dobody complained at all.
I can attest that your connector is of good quality. I use the short version to charge from fast AC stations where you have female cable on station.
Pins could need a bit more polish, but they fit well, specially the small ones.
I can also tell you that pins from 4 pin AC male DIN (red) plug fit mennekes almost perfectly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can attest that your connector is of good quality. I use the short version to charge from fast AC stations where you have female cable on station.
Pins could need a bit more polish, but they fit well, specially the small ones.
I can also tell you that pins from 4 pin AC male DIN (red) plug fit mennekes almost perfectly.
Tnx a lot for rewiev :D,
pollish , I'll keep that in mind ;) ,
How much Kw are you charging with ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Feemale type 2 is now modified. It is not possible to get pinns with finger because the hole is smaller then pinn at the top

1 - 11 of 11 Posts