DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The idea would be to do a full ev convertion and resell the engine and transmission(auto).
It would need to have at least 200km of autonomy (more would be ideal)
It has to be rwd.
Don’t have any power goals here but something equivalent to the actual 200hp would be a baseline.
I think this project is crying out for a Tesla based solution... take a look at Damien's BMW 8 Series conversion (here) and use the open source controllers for the motor (here), charger (here) and BMS (here) to keep the cost down :cool:

With the motor in the back (~600HP) and batteries in the front (~500km) this would be one hell of a conversion :)

Maybe I could buy used some parts from a wrecked car?
Have a look for a wrecked Tesla that will give you everything that you need... remember you can make good money selling the parts you don't need, so sometimes it's better to avoid a total wreck. I suspect you'll get the best prices in the US rather than Canada.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
it may not be enough on it's own to drive your Merc at a steady 80 mph
In the Model S/X dual motor cars only the front 'small' motor is used at high speed :)

With luck I'll have my VW Bus on the drag strip and driving across country this year... I doubt it will be super quick, but the results will give us some idea of what's really possible with the 'small' drive units :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.