DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spied the EV conversion list, and not one Mercedes.

I wondered why? Weight, yep luxus => heavier than some. But not as heavy as I thought. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_SL-Class

The sexy Princess Di model R129.

Pros:

• Not uncommon in sub $8 000 range is good condition.
  • Curb weight 1900kg (4200 lbs), but potential for lots of weight saving (if AMG can do it maybe I can too) :p
  • Rear wheel drive, for direct motor hookup perhaps with a larger differential reduction ratio. Possibly a 70 mph top speed/max RPM for better off the mark rear wheel torque. Maybe lower mph/ higher differential ratio => less Hp required.
  • Huge under hood volume once the crap is culled.
  • A very heavy engine/tranny/muffler combo.
  • Every comfort known to man and then some.
Downsides:

• Needs about 150KW for reasonable acceleration, at least that's with the original diff and box ratio.
  • Very expensive parts.
  • Completely unknown - EV to gizmo interface.
  • Weight
  • Battery storage possibilities may be limited in the rear.

DC 9" Siamese, 2000A Gdzilla controller. 320V (100 cell - 60-100Ah = 20-30KWh pack) 30 mile range?
What ya think?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You've got the right sort of ideas as to what you would need to give the car the performance you want, and 30 miles will be plenty feasible with 20 to 30KwH (100 cells at 60-100AH) of battery on board, even given the heavy chassis.

The prismatic LiFePO4 batteries have a C rating of about 3 I believe (at least for the thunder skys) so you should not plan on pulling more than 3x the AH rating out of them for any length of time. So that means with a 100AH pack at 300V, you could only get a continuous HP of about 90KW, (300V at 300A) or 120HP or so out of it. That would be ample for a driveable car but maybe not what you want. I believe the thunder skys do have a higher impulse rating (up to 10C, at least the newer ones) so it might be OK putting out more than 90KW for aggressive acceleration, but you should do your homework to avoid a costly design error.

This will be a high budget conversion, but it sounds like you expect that.

If its your first conversion and you don't have decent technical/fabrication/mechanical skills or ready access to those skills, you might try a lower budget conversion first (a lithium powered motorbike, or a simple lead acid conversion of a small car) just to get some ideas of what its going to take, before committing to a much more expensive build.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I spied the EV conversion list, and not one Mercedes.

I wondered why? Weight, yep luxus => heavier than some. But not as heavy as I thought. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_SL-Class

The sexy Princess Di model R129.

Pros:

• Not uncommon in sub $8 000 range is good condition.
  • Curb weight 1900kg (4200 lbs), but potential for lots of weight saving (if AMG can do it maybe I can too) :p
  • Rear wheel drive, for direct motor hookup perhaps with a larger differential reduction ratio. Possibly a 70 mph top speed/max RPM for better off the mark rear wheel torque. Maybe lower mph/ higher differential ratio => less Hp required.
  • Huge under hood volume once the crap is culled.
  • A very heavy engine/tranny/muffler combo.
  • Every comfort known to man and then some.
Downsides:

• Needs about 150KW for reasonable acceleration, at least that's with the original diff and box ratio.
  • Very expensive parts.
  • Completely unknown - EV to gizmo interface.
  • Weight
  • Battery storage possibilities may be limited in the rear.

DC 9" Siamese, 2000A Gdzilla controller. 320V (100 cell - 60-100Ah = 20-30KWh pack) 30 mile range?
What ya think?
hey lapwing, how did you go with this SL500 conversion idea or yours. I already own one of these, its a 1992 SL500. I have owned it about 7 years so rather than trade it in and get bugger all I think its time to do the conversion.
Did you do any more research about motor size and batteries etc?
It would be useful before I go commit to the equipment to hear from anyone who has any experience with this model or something similar in weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hey lapwing, how did you go with this SL500 conversion idea or yours. I already own one of these, its a 1992 SL500. I have owned it about 7 years so rather than trade it in and get bugger all I think its time to do the conversion.
Did you do any more research about motor size and batteries etc?
It would be useful before I go commit to the equipment to hear from anyone who has any experience with this model or something similar in weight.
Nothing attempted so far. To many other projects need attention right now.

Other possibility is Soliton controller and http://www.ev-propulsion.com/controllers-throttles.html with automatic idle for hooking up to the transmission.

Netgain motor http://www.go-ev.com/motors-warp.html#WarP_11

Either way batteries will matter a great deal. Perhaps Headway. http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=38120P

or Saft VL41m would be good choice if you could find someone to supply them. http://www.houseofbatteries.com/pdf/VL41M

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Just ran down to LA from Sacramento (411 miles each way ) to pick up a 2002 sl 500 silver arrow (last year of body style ) . This car is my friends , he has a ML , S , CL AMG and now a great SL . So my impressions after a 100 miles or so very solid . 25 - 26 mpg @ 65-75 mph . fast (300 hp ) . I noted a little tail wiggle under heavy power or quick lane changes , this is common in independent rear ends as they age . easy to fix with new rubber bushing . I was also told that replacing the front end rubber bushing makes car feel like new . 10 year or older rubber bushing harden, sag, etc . Got stopped going south on I5 for one hour bad car wreck , life flight , coming back threw LA this AM almost involved in 3 wrecks . blown engine just ahead of SL never saw so much smoke , crazy in a new cube cut me off and then everyone else (supper fast ) , travel trailer merges (almost) into the SL . all in less then 5 minutes . Back in the 70's LA had some of the best drivers , now it's unreal . Back to the SL . I think it would be great and sexy conversion car .

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Went for a ride last night , hard to believe it's 4,000 + lbs. it's so nimble . I'm not a sports car fan or haven't been till now . This is going to be one of the super cars for conversion .

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, time to start work on this SL500, I have decided to go ahead. I will do the right thing and start a web site posting all the images etc.

I know all the guys in New Zealand that build EV's and also part of Enatel/ Enasolar team, so if I can talk them in to assisting with design etc; it should be a very cool conversion.

Just have to decide now on the motor and batteries but as these tend evolve quite fast I shall try to design so that I can easily upgrade and change with as the new products become available. I suggest this will mean some sort of modular approach to the installation. Less welding and more bolts and brackets.

I look forward to any suggestions and of course you comments as I proceed.

Alan

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
What do you think about this setup?

Motor = Warp 11 HV ~3500$
Controller = Evnetics Soliton-1 or Netgain Warpcore ~2500
Batteries = Lithium...100 Calb Sky Energy 100AH cells...

320V 100AH = 32kwh (100 mile range @ 320wh/mile)
1200A peak burst (@ 270V sagged and 1000A = 270kw = 362hp)
683lbs
$13,750

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
My buddy has a 2002 silver edition about 300 hp. goes like hell , super fun to drive , smooth . just that much better as a EV .

·
Administrator
6,198 Posts
Hi KwikKiwi,

I like the SL conversion - my wife has an old (98) 230SLK - its a nice car - if the motor blows up I may do something like that myself

I know all the guys in New Zealand that build EV's

A bit of a bold statement there!
There are a lot of us hiding in odd places throughout the country

It could be useful to produce a list - I think I'm the only one in Gore,
I heard about somebody in Invercargill - but I don't have any contact details, then there are all of you northern types

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would love to know how your car turned out. I have a 1980 450SL that I am entertaining converting to an EV. I am not set up to properly do it and don't really have the cash right now. But I am getting more serious each day.

OK, time to start work on this SL500, I have decided to go ahead. I will do the right thing and start a web site posting all the images etc.

I know all the guys in New Zealand that build EV's and also part of Enatel/ Enasolar team, so if I can talk them in to assisting with design etc; it should be a very cool conversion.

Just have to decide now on the motor and batteries but as these tend evolve quite fast I shall try to design so that I can easily upgrade and change with as the new products become available. I suggest this will mean some sort of modular approach to the installation. Less welding and more bolts and brackets.

I look forward to any suggestions and of course you comments as I proceed.

Alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts