DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the cost of the thing, my experience of two small shorts while wiring up the pack - 7.2v only - has scared me sufficiently that I don't want any unfused cabling where it could possibly short out the pack.

At the same time, fusing 100 cells would take days and my usage is likely to be only 30% of real pack capacity, so I can probably stay away from both ends. Anybody want to buy an unused BMS?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi sabahtom,

What are you using to monitor your pack then? I also chose to do simple monitoring of my cells with manual bottom balancing. But I put together a quick measuring device using cell log 8s. It takes less than 2 minutes to measure the 45 cells that I have.

http://blog.mr2ev.com/?p=871

Ken

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ken

I haven't been able to get a reply from the manufacturer yet, but it might be that my BMS is internally fused in which case I will use it after all. Your idea sounds great though, I'll check it out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called China Hipower. It's not internally fused and the circuit diagram in the manual doesn't mention fusing it at the terminal either. I told them to fix their manual.

·
Registered
26 Posts
sabahtom,

That's a bummer! It is definitely safer to have a fuse near the battery terminal for the BMS connection. I use a 1/2amp fuse and fuse holder for my setup and it has worked really well. Yes, I agree soldering the fuse on each individual lead and heat shrinking will be very time consuming.
I have an idea, I've use these Wago connectors before and they are really great! Super easy to install, just cut the wire, strip, and insert into the levered holes and engage the lever. I have a friend that works for Tesla and supposed they use these for prototyping and such and the connections are solid. Check it out for yourself. If I do another conversion, I think I will use these instead of soldering the fuses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rder:none !important; margin:0px !important;"

Good luck!

Ken

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks they look nifty. How do the fuses connect to the wago? Looks like they still need to be soldered to a wire, then joined in the wago to the BMS voltage tap?

I heard that using fuses on the terminals can make the V reading unreliable on BMS. Have you got any idea about that?

·
Registered
239 Posts
EVTV.me and a graduate thesis in Europe generally confirm what us old-dogs have suspected all along. Top balancing is a looser. Bottom balancing on a periodic basis is what I will do. I like the Cellog-8 idea. I most likely won't ever charge above 3.6 volts/cell.
I like to be able to see which cells are charging up too fast (loss-of-capacity) so I can get them out of the string before the next PM scheduled bottom balance. As Jack says: "when they swell, they tell." A top balance system will prevent overcharging but gives us a false sense of security when it comes to age and usage related degradation.

Yes I am going to EVCCON this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts