DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to possibly transfer the motor and other parts to a vehicle capable of higher speed.

Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to accomplish this ? Is the motor enough ?

It's a 72v system. I was going to move to leaf batteries if transferring the components to another vehicle made sense.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If the lightweight Miles doesn’t perform the way you want
what makes you think that dumping its drivetrain into a heavier car will make It faster?

If you want the Miles to go faster do yourself a favor and buy a complete 1990 Daihatsu Charade 1 liter transmission , it’s identical to what went into your Miles originally, is readily available from any California junkyard
and will give you the ability to shift up for whatever speed you want.

In Japan the Miles is a full speed car going up to 65mph, there is no need to repackage it’s drivetrain but if you want to it’s drivetrain fits the US version of the Daihatsu Charade and nothing else

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The other issue is that the car does not have a title and that is difficult to get in Pennsylvania.

I was thinking that this drivetrain in a different car could take advantage of a manual transmission.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I had the same title issue

You need to call the state dmv at the capital and setup a case

You can get a license plate for the car pending proof you bought it legitimately just won’t get the title. Took me about 6 months waiting and sending forms.

Other more expensive option is a title company

Or as stated it’s drivetrain is identical to a late 80’s early 90’s Charade, buy one inop for $250 w/ title and off you go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suppose I don't want to use the miles. I can build a plate to mount up to another donor car. Are the miles components going to be enough to power another smaller size car with manual steering and transmission ? What are some good candidates for this swap ?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Suppose I don't want to use the miles. I can build a plate to mount up to another donor car. Are the miles components going to be enough to power another smaller size car with manual steering and transmission ? What are some good candidates for this swap ?
The Miles weighs about 1700lbs and is much more aerodynamic than you would first guess, mine draws 144wthrs per mile.

This means

1st gen Civic, Geo/Sprint, Yugo, 1st gen Fiesta
Subaru 360, Older Miata, s660, Isetta, Imark , Bugs

You get the idea, will work as well as the Miles.

You can use the Miles differential in other cars (mainly Toyota)
(but are then stuck with low gearing)

A love joy and plate will work and one is already included with the Miles that should work with very old Toyota transmissions.

If you gut your Miles let me know as I’m looking for a better body since my rear door is dented

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
the car does not have a title and that is difficult to get in Pennsylvania
Then pick another state to title it in. If it has no title, it doesn't mean anything that Pennsylvania is being annoying.

The process is usually called a "bonded title".

The procedure may be in different order depending on where you go, but the gist of it is:

- Call an independent title bondsman, just search in your (or any) state, ask about getting a bonded title.

- 90% of bonded titles only cost $100 flat, unless it's a very expensive car.

- Take the bond to the DMV. Ask for a replacement title or show them the bond, you will fail to be the owner of the vehicle (you can't ask who is, so the process it to ask for a replacement title knowing you won't get one). Then they will contact all the previous owners by mail with some accusatory paperwork that says "Can you prove you're the current owner? If not, why didn't you sign your title over to the person you sold the car to? Do that immediately."

- All the previous owners contacted will basically ignore the paperwork. Best case, someone has the actual title and contacts the DMV as requested and signs it over to you. Worst case, someone is going to claim they do in fact still own the car, which I suppose could be legitimate but otherwise is going to be trouble for them if anyone else down the line has a bill of sale they signed (proves they're lying). Each person in the process doesn't know what evidence the DMV might have of the sales process, so, it's risky to try to lie about it.

- After 30-ish days (up to the DMV) of no one claiming the car is yours, they will issue you a title that is branded with "Bonded". Similar to "Salvage" or "Do not repair" or whatnot, it's a conditional fixture of the title.

- Unless you're trying to leave the country, (or maybe the state), a bonded title is as good as a clean title. You insure and license and drive the car as normal.

- After a time period (1-3 years, depends), of no one showing up and claiming they own the car, the bonded title reverts back into a clear title and the brand is removed. Nothing changes.

- If someone does claim the car is theirs and can prove such, the bondsman who issued your bond will come after you, same as if they were chasing someone who skipped out on bail, (i.e. call you on the phone), and tell you that you screwed up and to give the car to its correct owner. Your bonded title is trash now and you've wasted $100.

Again, the sequence and the details are fuzzy, but that's the gist of the process. Most states will issue bonded titles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then pick another state to title it in. If it has no title, it doesn't mean anything that Pennsylvania is being annoying.

The process is usually called a "bonded title".
I just got a callback from a bonding agency. No go in Pa., he told me to call the DMV for Pa.

My options now are find a Charade 1.0l transmission and swap it into the Miles, apply through my DMV (involuntary transfer of title is the process in Pa.) for the title.
The second option is find another car and transplant the miles parts into it. Mercury Capri is looking like a good option right now and should be fairly simple.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I just got a callback from a bonding agency. No go in Pa., he told me to call the DMV for Pa.
So pick another state.

Just because the car is in PA, and was bought/sold in PA, doesn't mean that's the state you have to go to to get a bonded title.

I live in Canada, and I almost got an Arizona bonded title for my car I picked up there if the seller didn't end up finding the title. I could've done that there, or in Utah, or in Idaho, or in Montana, or anywhere else along the way back home with the physical car.

Suppose you sell the car to a guy in California, the car travels 2500 miles to get there, but doesn't have a title. What would the guy there do? Get a California bonded title. Ditto for any of your surrounding states.

The only question is whether a bonded title can be registered in PA, or, whether that means you cannot sell it or move it to that state. But, I think you're fine. They may not issue bonded titles, but they may respect a bonded title from another state.

Anyway, might not be the easiest way, but might still be an option in addition to the others you've found.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts