DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here, and looking at all the amazing projects going on out there. I have been thinking of building a electric garden tractor with hydraulic lift and so on.
Does anyone have experience on Chinese conversion kits?
Like this one. Motor, Axle, brakes and controller all in one.
I would like to use two of them and build a mid steering tractor. Please comment.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
By "mid-steering" do you mean articulated? That would be great machine. :)

Sorry, I have no experience with those kits. The idea of a motor mounted on the final drive housing of a beam axle is pretty common, used (for example) in golf carts.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
A hydraulic lift (for a loader?) could be done with hydraulic cylinders and an electric hydraulic pump, but there are also electric linear actuators which could be used to avoid hydraulics entirely. Even an economy retailer here has a range of 12 volt actuators, in various lengths and force capabilities.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A hydraulic lift (for a loader?) could be done with hydraulic cylinders and an electric hydraulic pump, but there are also electric linear actuators which could be used to avoid hydraulics entirely. Even an economy retailer here has a range of 12 volt actuators, in various lengths and force capabilities.
Yes that's right, but I want a more Hydraulic system with lift, tilt and steering, so I need Pressure all the time like on a Diesel tractor. I think that will be a separate el. motor/pump and valves for that. Not interfere with the wheel motors.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Yes that's right, but I want a more Hydraulic system with lift, tilt and steering...
All of those things can be done with electric linear actuators, but yes, you can do them hydraulically if you want a more conventional machine.

... so I need Pressure all the time like on a Diesel tractor. I think that will be a separate el. motor/pump and valves for that. Not interfere with the wheel motors.
Yes, a hydraulic pump would be run by a separate motor from the motors that drive the wheels - that's what an electric hydraulic pump (sometimes called a "power pack") means, and they are commercially available (you don't need to custom-assemble one from a controller and motor and pump).

A conventional electric forklift uses one or more motors to drive the wheels, and a separate motor to run the hydraulic pump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts