DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVDL archives are clearly a very valuable resource, but right now it's extremely difficult to navigate and search. Anyone have any ideas on how we can scoop up the archives and potentially import them into something more manageable?

Here are the archives as-is

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here's a thought (I may regret this):

Have some volunteers (especially this part) pick a subject, say battery balancing, or regenerative braking and start indexing or copy/pasting the gold nuggets of knowledge there with references to the digest numbers.

Ton of work, but helpful for the New Generation of converters.

There seems to be some resistance to a change there (even concerning modern email formatting). I'm just glad some of the old timers there at least embraced text email and aren't having people go to libraries or museums to look up their wisdom on
stone tablets... :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
The EVDL archives do make a great reference, but they ARE hard to search... If this forum takes off, it would be great to see general topics with evolving "sticky" posts that contain the answers to most questions and most sought after information.

The stickies would be like a Wikipedia reference, with ongoing threads appearing below. Unfortunately, it will take a lot of grunt work to find appropriate topics, information, and references. If something new and useful keeps popping up it gets added to the sticky.

For example, a section on EV motors could have a sticky that lists the commonly used motors, what type/weight vehicle they work well with, links to the dealer/manufacturer, links to motor curves, tables of motor constants, maximum voltage/rpms, etc.

A battery section with a sticky on flooded/AGM/gel/ and Pb/NiCD/NiMH/Li basics, dealers, tables of group sizes, Ah ratings, internal resistance, charging methods, watering methods, etc.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have 2 ways to go: We can either put together a wiki to maintain the info or we can do stickies as per your suggestion. Right now I'd prefer to go with stickies to keep from having to run 2 systems, but we can always move data out later once it's organized within the forum.

If anyone feels the desire to build an official technical data post, I will sticky it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Greetings All;

One of the least desireable aspects of the EVDL was their antiquated listserv format. How 1980's is that? bbs 2400 8-N-1 and all the rest. The list did maintain a Yahoo archive for a time, but the annoyance of using Y! finally finished me off. That and the infighting that eventually resulted in the strongest personalities (come on, I'm sure you can name at least three) dominating the list posts and setting the general tone of the list forevermore.

Seems like someone with a smattering of PHP experience could put together a script to rip all those archives into a master, searchable database. It wouldn't even require downloading the individual archive flies, just have a wget script do it all online and compile the information.

For myself, and having spent some enjoyable time on Wikkipedia, I'd vote for the Wikki format. That and I absolutely ~dispise~ forum stickies!!!

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just thought of a genius way to do this. I started by setting up an RSS reader that posts links to archives as they come in, which doesn't really do us much good, but it gave me a better idea.

I'm going to find something that makes posts of emails, then set up an account for diyelectriccar that will receive list mail and post it automatically into the forum so it's all there and fully searchable.

Of course I'd want it so that threads are preserved as best they can be...

This doesn't help with historical stuff though. I'm thinking I'd have to craft an import script myself. I'll look into both of these options.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I have the list being pulled in as posts but I have a little work to do to keep the threads mostly together so I'll hack at that code a bit later and see if I can clean it up.

Are there any other lists worth pulling in?

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just added email address hiding. Wouldn't want all that to be public.

Ok once more - what other lists should we pull into here?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts