DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planing to do a awd hybrid by adding a electric motor and a differential on the rear of a fwd turbo eclipse I don't care that much for the range anything passing 20 miles is ok for me i want a warp 9 with a 1k zilla controller am new on this and I have lots of questions don't know were to star what charger to use type of batteries I know that lithium is the way to go and if a bms is really necessary I want at least 200 hp for 10 segs I think that it is possible with the warp and that controller because the withe zombie use 2 warp 9 motors and a 2k zilla controller with more than 500hp thats more than 250hp in each motor for 10 seconds so it is not imposible

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I want at least 200 hp for 10 segs I think that it is possible with the warp and that controller because the withe zombie use 2 warp 9 motors and a 2k zilla controller with more than 500hp thats more than 250hp in each motor for 10 seconds so it is not imposible
Horsepower is the combination of Torque and RPM. What you really mean is you want some additional torque for 10 seconds. Depending on what table you looks at the WarP 9 does somewhere between 230 and 280 ft-lbs of torque at 1000 amps. I think John Metric uses 1900-2000 amp peaks into each motor in the Miata at voltages between 190 and 200. This means 190*1900 = 361 kw (484 HP) into the motor. At 2000 amps the torque would be roughly 500 ft-lbs. At 190 volts the HP peak is probably a little over 5000 RPM and that is where the torque is going to start to taper off. Your biggest challenge is going to be figuring out what the final drive ratio should be to get you the big boost you are looking for. It is a combination of Torque/HP curves reduction ratios, tire diameters and what your goal is. If you want this up to 80 mph then you rig it so the motor hits 5000 rpm at 80. If you are trying for 1/4 mile times then it becomes really complicated because you are mixing this in with the ICE performance. The 80 mph and 5000 rpm with 25" diameter tires would require about a 4.3:1 final drive.

To get to reliable operation at 190 volts and 2000 amps you may need an upgraded WarP 9 with the Helwig brush holders. Otherwise it might be best to limit the motor voltage to 170 and 1000 amps. You need quite a good battery to do this. What I have weighs a little under 400 lbs and is not quite up to that. You will need to fit the motor, differential, batteries, and controller in the car. Guessing this will be around 700 lbs of stuff. Will the car still drive the way you want if you add 700 lbs to the back? If you use more exotic Lithium batteries you can probably save 250 lbs but the electric range will be short.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts