DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would stop lurking and share my project. Car is a 1996 MKIV Supra (Right hand drive) original twin turbo 6 speed hardtop car. Purchased it about 6 months ago from someone who was road racing it and was in the process of parting it out. It was the perfect find for me as the engine, trans, rear end, and interior were all already gone and it already had a cage (I plan to race a lot). Supras have gone up in price a lot over the past few years so finding one in this condition was the only way to do this project for me. Not to mention that I did not have the heart to destroy a clean well maintained US spec Supra.
Car will be mainly used for drag racing and very short course SCCA, and maybe some drifting someday. I plan to keep the car street legal so it will maintain all the lights, wipers, etc, but I have removed the heater, AC and anything else to keep it as light as possible. I live in Hawaii so no real need for heat or AC.
I purchased the following items from Stealth EV. a few months back.
Tesla performance drive unit
100kw Tesla battery pack
Orion BMS
Stealth EV 6.6 kw charger/DC-DC converter
Here are a few shots of how the car looked when it arrived to me.

·
Registered
1971 Mini Marcos, Outlander Meiden Motor, Meiden Inverter
94 Posts
Wow I love supras this is going to be an awesome conversion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely following this one. From the looks of the R34, and I think its an NSX you have great taste in cars and this one looks like it will be no slouch.

Reactions: RyanC

·
Registered
165 Posts
So you fit the entire 100kwh tesla pack in there? I'd love to see how you did that since I'm trying to figure out where best to fit 10 modules in my Ford Escape conversion.

This thing is going to be fast as hell though with the tesla drive unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you fit the entire 100kwh tesla pack in there? I'd love to see how you did that since I'm trying to figure out where best to fit 10 modules in my Ford Escape conversion.

This thing is going to be fast as hell though with the tesla drive unit.
Battery packs are not in yet but I'm currently mocking the boxes up out of 1/8' plywood. Looks like there will be 10 under the hood, 4 where the rear seats use to be, and 2 in the hatch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This looks sick :eek: gonna rip
Wheel track wise how does the tesla motor unit line up with original Supra rear wheels?
Gonna go a little wide body maybe?

c845537403d6dbc143cb454744ae2535.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This looks sick :eek: gonna rip
Wheel track wise how does the tesla motor unit line up with original Supra rear wheels?
Gonna go a little wide body maybe?
Yes the Tesla subframe is significantly wider than the supra's. I went back and forth about using the Supra subframe and trying to fit the tesla motor in that and order custom axels but it was too much fabrication for my skills as all the control arm mounts would need to be redone. The downside to using the Tesla subframe is having to cut the front subframe mounting points on the supra chassis, and having to widebody the car.
These pictures show the Tesla subframe vs the Supra, and how far the wheels stick out now with the Tesla subframe mocked up.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts