DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys!

Ive scoured the forum and Im having a hard time finding more straight forward information about repurposing the Tesla Model 3 battery modules for an electric car swap....

Does anyone have any tips? I know they are big and hard to package, what I'm looking for: has someone/who has made a board/system to monitor the batteries and charge them (BMS)? what are the pros and cons? they seem like great density for the cost compared to Model S modules. repeat, i know they are big and hard to package......

Can these be controlled/used currently??

Thanks in advance! New to EV swaps and very enthusiastic!

Jeff

·
Registered
49 Posts
We are in the process of putting a modified Model 3 Pack in our Tesla Cobra EV race car. As you noted, the modules are difficult to work with. They do not have any structural support on the bottom and must be supported from the sides. The BMS boards have all the cell taps along one edge. We simply soldered wires onto the cell taps and connected to our Orion 2 BMS system. I will post pictures and more info at a later time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OH Great!

Thank you so much for the reply Tiger82! I'll be watching your posts for more details! Sounds like you have a very cool and interesting project going!

I was looking at the Orion 2 BMS on their website, but am nervous about committing until i know it can be done.

Thanks again! Any information you can share is good information!

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts