DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have picked up my 2016, 85kwh pack and I wonder if anyone has used it as is, without removing the modules from it. I don't know if the SimpBMS will work with the stock connectors but that is one of my options. It looks like the full pack "might" fit under the frame of the VW LT truck. The other option is of course, to remove the modules.

Does anyone have info on this? I don't really know what all is under the cover. Most of the vids I see focus on removing the modules only.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt, have you seen any info showing how the electronics inside the case works? I suspect there is something that won't work with the SimpBMS but I haven't been able to find the info.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
I don't have good knowledge of BMSs. I thought the whole point of SimpBMS was that it reused the existing brains in the modules. At worst you'd have to just disconnect the main brain. I can't imagine it's important to disconnec the modules from each other.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have good knowledge of BMSs. I thought the whole point of SimpBMS was that it reused the existing brains in the modules. At worst you'd have to just disconnect the main brain. I can't imagine it's important to disconnec the modules from each other.
My knowledge of the BMS is not as good as it should be but, that said, I know the SimpBMS goes directly to the slaves. The whole idea of being able to hook directly to the unopened pack is that it is a nicely sealed, weatherproof box. It may be a moot point anyway if I can't make it fit under the truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The SimpBMS hooks right up the linked communications that the pack uses. You should be able to keep it all together and wire it to the contactors from Tesla. That is if you are going to create a 500V DC monster torque machine. Are you powering a Tesla drivetrain, motor, and controllers?
The SimpBMS will handle it and has modes for automotive and powerwall modes.
I have tesla packs in a powerwall waiting for 48V, so I have my own contactors, but and wiring but there is no reason you could not use the excellent contactors and fuses that Tesla provides.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The SimpBMS hooks right up the linked communications that the pack uses. You should be able to keep it all together and wire it to the contactors from Tesla. That is if you are going to create a 500V DC monster torque machine. Are you powering a Tesla drivetrain, motor, and controllers?
The SimpBMS will handle it and has modes for automotive and powerwall modes.
I have tesla packs in a powerwall waiting for 48V, so I have my own contactors, but and wiring but there is no reason you could not use the excellent contactors and fuses that Tesla provides.
Tom told me the SimpBMS communicates with the modules only and not the main board which mean that I have to take the whole pack apart rather than use it in one piece. I am driving 2 Leaf motors. The battery is the only thing from Tesla that I am using.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tom told me the SimpBMS communicates with the modules only and not the main board which mean that I have to take the whole pack apart rather than use it in one piece. I am driving 2 Leaf motors. The battery is the only thing from Tesla that I am using.
Well yes, you would have to take the cover off the first 1/4 of the pack to access and wire the SimpBMS into the contacts and pack. Maybe you need to watch some youtube and such on the teardown, but you cant just take the bottom back module and expect to plug it into a Leaf motor and go tooling along. You need some serious design work and team down/rewiring. What I would think you could do to minimize the teardown is carefully cut off the cover plate for the first foot or two (you will have to look at the measurements) and access the BMS wire loop and the contactors, fusing and high cottage wiring. The entire rest of the pack, including all the individual 24V packs, buses, and such would stay as one unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.