DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Tesla will
possibly to build it in China because of the demand in the Chinese market, reports Torque News.
Yeah, sure, local demand is the reason for building vehicles in China. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it is a factor, but companies build in China (rather than North America) primarily to reduce cost. My guess is that access to production technology, while perhaps a minor factor, is still more important than the Chinese market demand.

I noticed this in the article:
The current highway laws require the installation of mirrors in cars, but these laws could be revised to allow the use of internally mounted cameras and screens, as an alternative before the Model Y reaches the roads.
Seriously? We're talking about U.S. regulations, right? This change may occur, but if it is a few months from implementation there will be a huge trail of technical reports and notifications from NHTSA... and I've never heard of it, and could not find any evidence of it in a search of the NHTSA web site.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I don't believe they really need a more advanced computer. That sounds like marketing nonsense - one of those "We're making it better for YOU!" lines that means it's better for them.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I am thinking they will be both sold in USA and China and in Europe too.
No doubt they will.

Most automotive manufacturing in China has been primarily for the Chinese (or more generally Asian) market, but a trend has started of moving production for all markets to China. It's done for cost, and of course models which sell well in China are particularly good candidates.

GM builds the hybrid version of the Cadillac CT6 in China, and the Buick Envision (which sells better in China than the U.S., but is supplied to the whole world from this one plant in China). Ford already builds the Focus there, but is moving all worldwide production of the Focus to China with the new version. With major manufacturers shifting production to China, and Geely expanding by acquiring brands (including Volvo and now Lotus), I expect we'll see China's share of worldwide auto production increase.

So, nothing really special about the Tesla Motors plan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts