DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some direction here. For my Fiesta build, I have a spline to spline adapter for the old motor but my ADC motor uses a keyway style.

Should I cut the old adapter and have it welded to a new keyway?

Is there a company that makes adapters here in the states?

The ADC came for a Geo Metro.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
We need more info. Clutch, no clutch? Existing adapter plate(s)? Multi-view photos of all of the parts, including the transmission would be very helpful.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! The transaxle is just a stock Fiesta unit and I got it without a clutch. It had a 2CM77 GE motor attached to it with a spline to spline adapter that someone made. I am just hoping that there is a very common way to go about this but am having troubles finding how.

·
Registered
876 Posts
How about some consensus on terms. Adapters usually refers to the plate or series of plates that tie the transmission housing to the motor housing. Couplings (some call them couplers or hubs) are one piece or multi- piece units that tie the motor shaft to the transmission input shaft. Or, in a set-up with a clutch, a place for the flywheel to attach-possibly with a provision for a pilot bearing.

A good source for adapter plates and couplings is http://www.canev.com/adapters.php

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the clarification! I'm still trying to get my terms right. This is my first EV project. Cool site, I've been slowly gathering these websites in the past month.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes that is what I call the coupler. You could machine a plug to fit inside the bore of both pieces. This would hold both pieces aligned while you weld. The overall length of the coupler may need to be adjusted. The plug can be removed after welding.

The new motor must be aligned exactly to the adapter plate. The plug could be left in with a bore machined to accommodate a pilot bushing.

I had a local machine shop help me. They are really good at getting it accurate.

Alvin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts