DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I bought a big 3-phase AC motor from a junkyard. Unfortunately its sticker/badge is partially torn off (see in image 'Motor_3.jpg').

I am using CURTIS AC Speed Controller (1236-5401). Motor does NOT have U V W poles marking/indication, so will it be safe to connect controller's U V W with Motor's any 3 poles?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
OK. This does not look like the typical AC15 HPEVS motor paired with the Curtis 1236. Did the controller and the motor come out of the same OEM installation? If not, then the software in the controller may be incompatible with that motor.

To answer the question about the sequence of the U, V, and W phase leads or terminals on the motor; it does not matter. If you get it wrong, it will "fight" the encoder direction and/or rotate backwards, in which case you may have to switch two of the three to like U, W, and V and/or swap the A & B phases of the encoder. This can also be done in the program settings in you have the programmer pendant or PC pak. If you have the sequence of the motor terminals/encoder phases wired incorrectly, you will either get an error/fault message or the motor will rotate slowly and roughly. It's happened to me many times. No harm done.

major

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To answer the question about the sequence of the U, V, and W phase leads or terminals on the motor; it does not matter.
major
Thanks this statement has clearly answered my question.

But your point regarding AC-15, YES they (motor & controller) do not came from same source. I bought them from different places. So now how can you help and advise me. I do not have Curtis's Programing Handheld. By professional, I am a Sr. Software Developer, so is there any possibility for me to download CURTIS software on my laptop and configure it as per my needs.
Please advise...

Honestly, I do not think so that my motor is AC-15, are you sure about this?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Thanks this statement has clearly answered my question.

But your point regarding AC-15, YES they (motor & controller) do not came from same source. I bought them from different places. So now how can you help and advise me. I do not have Curtis's Programing Handheld. By professional, I am a Sr. Software Developer, so is there any possibility for me to download CURTIS software on my laptop and configure it as per my needs.
Please advise...

Not legally, of which I am aware.

Look at the HPEVS or Thunderstruck websites and compare to pictures of that line of motors to yours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay let me search for similar motor image. I am desperately looking for motor's manual. Few days back I have also wrote to Hyundai Heavy Industries.... but unfortunately I have received no reply from them.

The incompatibility between this motor and the Curtis 1236 will be only related to throttle type, is this correct? as we don't know that currently what is set throttle type of this controller?

or there are also some other possible major incompatibilities (which will not allow the motor to run or control speed)

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
okay let me search for similar motor image. I am desperately looking for motor's manual. Few days back I have also wrote to Hyundai Heavy Industries.... but unfortunately I have received no reply from them.

The incompatibility between this motor and the Curtis 1236 will be only related to throttle type, is this correct? as we don't know that currently what is set throttle type of this controller?

or there are also some other possible major incompatibilities (which will not allow the motor to run or control speed)

Thanks!
Yes, many motor and application parameters. You pretty much need an application engineer and dynamometer to properly set it.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
I'm guessing that the idea that this is an AC-15 came from some earlier version of this discussion, before some editing to separate the two questions being asked. I don't see any reason now to expect it to be an AC-15, but maybe I'm missing something.

The label fragments include "UND" and "IN KOREA". At a wild guess it, seems likely to be a Hyundai.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts