DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of converting a small tractor to electric drive. The original engine is 12hp but the same tractor had options up to 18hp. I'm doing this on a tight budget so looking for a used forklift motor. I am having difficulty finding an appropriate motor mostly due to the lack of available specifications on these old motors. I'd like to find one in the 6-7 inch range that I can get up to 3600 rpm. I assume the duty rating needs to be continuous or at least rated for 1 hour. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've read the the massive forklift motor thread and it is helpful but overwhelming.
Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Those ETEK motors seem great but they are expensive and also pretty light weight. My tractor is a gravely 812. It has a rear gas engine that is mounted directly to the transmission (no belts). I think it's important to have the weight over the rear wheels. Especially with all the batteries under the hood in front.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
What exactly does this tractor do? I don't see a PTO or hydraulics. Every belly mower deck I've seen uses V-belts.

Cricketo's motor will not work. Don't understand the 48V battery, though - you said 3600RPM.

edit: that's a pump motor rated at 20% duty cycle. No good for a traction motor.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It can run a belly mower. There's a pto shaft coming out the front of the trans. I won't be mowing with it. I'll just be using a front blade and pulling a harrow and a roller. The roller weighs 800lb so it'll need to have some guts. Ya I need a motor that's rated for at least 1 hour of continuous use.
Thanks for all the input so far.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that I think about it more -- I don't really need 3600 rpm since I won't be using it for mowing. I just don't want to build a "crawler". It does have 8 speeds, so surely 8th gear would be a reasonable speed at a lower rpm. The manual recommends to run it at 3600 rpm, but that's for mowing with a 50 year old 12hp gas engine with a torque curve far different than a stout electric motor.
I'm not opposed to having it chain driven, which would allow my to manipulate the rpm's at the transmission input.
I still don't understand how I can tell what I'm getting in a forklift motor. There just aren't really any specs I can find for any given motor. Should I just be looking for a certain size motor with a continuous duty rating?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I googled etek, the only stuff that popped up looked like Motenergy. Either way, I have two ME1004 motors in similar implements, one in a Husqvarna riding mower. The main thing about it is that it's designed to put out some 3000RPM at 48V, it would be perfect. It has a PM rotor, so it is indeed quite a bit lighter than a forklift motor, but the weight can easily be added if necessary.

·
Registered
801 Posts
are you planning to obtain a free forklift motor ? :) Unless you can get one locally for the price of scrap, I don't see how ME1004 would be much different. Consider the fact that shipping a forklift motor will be a pretty penny, where a permanent magnet motor would cost just $30-40 to ship.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I googled etek, the only stuff that popped up looked like Motenergy. Either way, I have two ME1004 motors in similar implements, one in a Husqvarna riding mower. The main thing about it is that it's designed to put out some 3000RPM at 48V, it would be perfect. It has a PM rotor, so it is indeed quite a bit lighter than a forklift motor, but the weight can easily be added if necessary.
This motor has a PM stator. Palmtree, pull off the red/orange cover(if that's what it is) on the input for the transmission. There could be a opening to accept a splined or keyed shaft. This is what you would have to fit the motor shaft into for a direct drive.

·
Registered
801 Posts
This motor has a PM stator. Palmtree, pull off the red/orange cover(if that's what it is) on the input for the transmission. There could be a opening to accept a splined or keyed shaft. This is what you would have to fit the motor shaft into for a direct drive.
You are correct! It's a brushed motor, so definitely a PM stator. I was just servicing another Motenergy motor (ME0201014201) which is a BLDC, and it had a PM rotor so I confused the two.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts