DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys used a snubber diode or a capacitor across the motor to reduce noise? I connected an o'scope across my 12V supply, and if press the accelerator I have noise all over the place until I let off. I feel like I've separated the HV and LV lines sufficiently. Maybe it's carbon dust creating a path? Also, I made a tachometer using a micro controller that quit working correctly when I switched from my Netgain controller to a Synkromotive. Could it be the controller's fault?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are many reasons for noisy electric motors used on HVAC equipment, oil burners, air conditioners, fans, water pumps, appliances, etc

This problem can be come over when you interfere with your sensors and it can impair your microcontroller by causing voltage dips on your regulated power line.

The main source of motor noise is the commutator brushes, which can bounce as the motor shaft rotates. This bouncing, when coupled with the inductance of the motor coils and motor leads, can lead to a lot of noise on your power line and can even induce noise in nearby lines. Capacitors are usually the most effective way to suppress motor noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts