DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum been digging around a few days and enjoying all of the projects here.
I came across this 'farm cart' and feeling inspired to build something similar.
This was built with wheelchair motors, I'm looking for recommendations for a dc motor that I can work with to achieve 10-15 mph Max, and enough pulling power for attaching some cultivating knives similar to this hand tool below. I was thinking 2 motors, one on each rear wheel. Under/near 4kw is my hope/guesstimate, with occupied weight under 1000 pounds. Would want to have at least 2-4 hours run time, probably gonna have 2 good 80ah deep cycle batteries and 800 watts solar on the roof for shade and charge. I'm not interested in rebuilding any low clearance tractors, the high clearance of this design is key to functionality. Thanks for any motor recommendations/ideas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
try searching on line for “1500w dc” scooter motors, or go kart motors of a similar size. There is a whole industry of smallish dc motors that would be ideal for your app. The most common size is around 2500w, but you Weill find a whole range of motors from around 600 w up to 2000w with that search. Look for something with an attached gear box that will maximize your power and speed range to the limits you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SeattleTrainGuy! that is where I ended up going with (2) brushless 48v 750w, one to power each rear wheel. They are reduced 5.6:1 down to 500 rpm, and I plan to reduce a step further to each axle. I'm now shooting for 6-8 mph top speed and not sure what my weight will be since I'm still designing the frame. I'll post some photos once I have made some progress.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts