DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I've been tossing around the idea of converting my old 78 Monte Carlo to electric. I've been doing some research and could use a little help with motor selection. Should I be looking at DC, brushless DC, AC or old forklift motors?

I want something that will give lots of power (I saw a dual warp 9 configuration that really interested me). But from what I've read AC is the way to go, plus I also really like the regen feature of AC motors. Can you do a dual AC motor configuration like the warp 9 configuration? (probably a dumb question)

I would like to keep this build budget somewhat low by scavenging as many parts as I can, but I also was already planning on restoring the car, so I have some money to spend.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, Yep like what Emyr posted. It's a 3rd gen 1978 Chevy Monte Carlo (with T-tops :) ). So it's on the heavier side at 1400kg.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I did her sister...

A '80 Cutlass Diesel (POS engin that was...). Those are emissions-exempt for *any* conversion, so in went a 454cu in 450HP crate engine and a 4-speed automatic from an IROC Camaro. That was, er, 30 years ago. Performance was decent and was at the threshhold of what I'd call decent. Externally, it looked like your grandma's Cutlass diesel. The reason I'm posting all that here in your tread, and in an EV forum, is to give you a target if you want a fun powerplant in that chassis vs one that literally has the performance of a forklift. I'm skeptical that even dual Warps will get you there, because that car is pretty heavy, but it all depends on personal threshholds and targets.

If you're building a performance "restomod" car, there's no such thing as cheap (unless you are willing to chance letting the "magic smoke" out of the electronics/electrics or use up all your auto club free tows), in my experience, even if you scrounge parts.

As an example, my 500HP Tesla-pack 5th gen Camaro EV build is going to cost me around 40 grand, counting the host body/chassis. Being a "hobby", the labor in it at that price is heavily discounted to $0/hr. Not a cheap way to get two tons to 60 mph in sub-3sec, but it alo has to be a grocery-getter that's shod in street tires, unlike the eCOPO Camaro, that'll go on at least 100 miles of errands when let out of the stable, and, maybe some day, get off a trailer to go on an extended trip. I should live that long...

Are you keeping the trans in your Monte or going direct drive to the prop shaft? Having a frame in that car means you have the possibility of swapping in a complete cradle from another EV. So many choices, possibilities that are only limited by your bank account and credit card limits.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info remy_martian!

That's what I was worried about. It's such a heavy car I don't know how practical an EV conversion would be. I wanted to do it to challenge myself a bit and have some fun. But I also want something I can enjoy when it's all done. If it's gonna take $40 grand to get it to the point where it behaves like a 400-450Hp car then I might as well spend $15 grand and put a V8 in it.

Right now it's got an automatic transmission so I was thinking of either doing direct drive or putting a standard transmission of some sort in.

Finding EVs at the auto wrecker, in my neck of the woods (Calgary, Alberta, Canada), is proving to be difficult. I haven't found one yet.

You wouldn't recommend a multiple forklift motor type of set-up for this car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey!

I've been tossing around the idea of converting my old 78 Monte Carlo to electric. I've been doing some research and could use a little help with motor selection. Should I be looking at DC, brushless DC, AC or old forklift motors?

I want something that will give lots of power (I saw a dual warp 9 configuration that really interested me). But from what I've read AC is the way to go, plus I also really like the regen feature of AC motors. Can you do a dual AC motor configuration like the warp 9 configuration? (probably a dumb question)

I would like to keep this build budget somewhat low by scavenging as many parts as I can, but I also was already planning on restoring the car, so I have some money to spend.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you
I hope this can help you on wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/Lancia_Montecarlo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts