DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Recently I silently started my conversion... More information and pictures will be posted soon ;)

This week I have been doing my utmost best in drawing the adapter for my M3 AC60 induction motor (Electro Vehicle Europe).

After shortening the drive shaft (in my 3d drawings) from 110 to 35mm , adding the adapter for the custom alu flywheel and pilot bearing, it looks enormous :(
Not as compact as I was hoping for.

The distance between the motor face and the flywheel face is ~ 102mm.

Im sorry If I missed something obvious, not a mechanical engineer..
What am I doing wrong and are there pictures how its 'commonly' done?

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
a lot of adapters are rather thick, or in the motor attach area possibly 50 to 70 mm. most motors that I have observed seem to need about 25 to 50 mm space from the face of the adapter in the transmission side. you may wish to test install the flywheel/clutch assembly and see how far the assembly is recessed or protrudes when bottomed out on the throw-out bearing. other than that it looks about just right.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
Your adapters look all very similar. :rolleyes: The Taper lock held me off because it required me to bolt on from the back, your design uses tapped holes in the taper lock which allow it to be mounted from the clutch side which may be also a solution. What type brand taper lock is that?

Im initially planning to use a shrink fit. Just make the adapter shaft hole a factor 0.003 smaller than the motor shaft, heat it up to about 280C and should slide on.

Do you also have a picture of how high the clutch stands out from the motor, that is what worries me .

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whow, the pilot bearing less solution is sweet!! Also the idea to use a sync belt pulley is a fantastic idea.

Tobad i chose an e36 beamer. It does use a pilot bearing.
Starting to get used to the hight of the construction. :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts