DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a basic motor suitability question, having found an old forklift motor (which is harder than one might think here in the UK) I need a bit of advice as to whether it is fit for purposes.

THE MOTOR:
It's a drive motor out of an old Lancing forklift and it's a bit of a monster but doesn't have the continuous output of some others of equivalent size (picture of info plate attached).
Weight: 110kg
Width: 12"
Length: 15"
kW: 7.5
RPM: 1400
Volts: 67
(144v 100aH battery pack and Paul & Sabrina equivalent open source controller)

THE DONOR CAR:
I am looking at a circa 2005 BMW 1 Series for a couple of reasons a) availability, you can pick them up pretty cheap, ~£500, on eBay b) rear wheel drive, due to the size of the motor I am hoping to omit the transmission hooking the motor directly to the drive shaft c) weight, although not as light as something 20 years it's junior it has a decent curb weight for a RWD hot hatch, ~1,300kg.

USAGE:
Local driving no more that 20 mile round trips; groceries, school runs and general taxi service for 3 dependants. Max speed limit in the area is 40 mph so that +5/10 mph for overtaking is all I need. Point if note is that I live in the Surrey Hills area and although it's not mountainous it's not flat.

QUESTIONS:
- Having read somewhere (I can't find the original post) that when it comes to [large] motors it's more about the physical size than the kW output; based on the above is this motor a viable option?

- Is "direct drive" my best option or should I reconsider keeping the transmission? (I still have the original slip yoke from the forklift so hooking up to a drive shaft will be easier than the transmission but nothing is out of the question)

- Can you "direct drive" a front wheel drive car (this would give me more donor car options)?

Many thanks in advance.
George

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By "direct drive" you appear to mean driving a differential though only one stage of reduction gearing, included in the final drive (the ring gear around the diff and pinion on the input shaft).
Thanks brian_ I'm still learning he terminology and this quote alone is worth a good few hours of enjoyable research. I guess all I mean is not using the transmission

Hi George
take some pictures of the brushes and comm to show us
Great news Duncan, I've attached some photos for your attention. I have also added a couple of pics of other parts of the motor, the rather hefty slip yoke that came attached and the power terminals (there are 3 in total "A", "Y" & "YY")

Thanks again
George

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.