DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a complete package available for experimenters that is roughly equivalent to a Zero motorcycle in power and weight? Includes motor, controller, battery, charging system? Or does anyone have a list of affordable off-the-shelf components that could make up such a package?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Affordable is 100% subjective.

Why not start with at least "decent quality" or even "good reliability long term"?

Then if the reco's seem expensive relative to your hopes and expectations, you can discuss where you could save some money while not compromising too much on the important stuff,

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Is there a complete package available for experimenters that is roughly equivalent to a Zero motorcycle in power and weight? Includes motor, controller, battery, charging system? Or does anyone have a list of affordable off-the-shelf components that could make up such a package?
if you are just dabbling on a small budget, you might want to start with an electric bike. They have 750watt kits now that are VERY affordable and you can replace controller or hack programming if you want to remove speed limitations. ;)

If you want to keep costs down, you'll find DC is the way to go.

·
Registered
367 Posts
"Affordable." There's a lot of that word being thrown around, especially among EV shoppers, like we can read people's minds on how much money they've allocated or can spend. I just went through a back and forth on someone wanting an "affordable" 3D metal printer. 20 grand would be affordable to me, as far as access to the tech, but they were talking about $1,000 to where "regular people with jobs can buy one", lol, and were accusing me as being an elitist with bags o money.

A Tesla Model S is affordable compared to a Taycan, for example. But, I can't afford a new one because I have three Teslas already (don't get the wrong idea...they are parts cars and one is a totaled MX I'm restoring...they emptied all my bags of money), lol.

You need to state your budget limit.

I do have an "affordable" Curtis 1231C and an Advanced 8 inch brushed DC motor I'd part with, since I'm now toying with nothing under 200HP motorwise. They'd contribute to the F-450 Battery Fund, but I get the feeling you're going to get sticker shock if you PM me. Take a look at what EV West or EVTV Motor Verks are asking for similar DC's and controllers. The saving grace is a smaller battery pack.

What is "affordable"? Disclosing the amount you're willing to spend doesn't set the value that a buyer and seller need to agree on, but it does help the guys here possibly narrow down your search. How much ya got?

The economical justification for tech from days of old is getting eroded to where it is less about whether or not it is not "affordable", but more on the Goldilocks side of selection criteria of design requirements....not too small so you don't wind up with a golf cart, and not too big where you are mortgaging the house and eating peanut butter sandwiches for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
"Affordable." There's a lot of that word being thrown around, especially among EV shoppers, like we can read people's minds on how much money they've allocated or can spend.
You need to state your budget limit.
Very true!

I do have an "affordable" Curtis 1231C and an Advanced 8 inch brushed DC motor I'd part with...
The saving grace is a smaller battery pack.
The old-style brushed DC motors, and AC motors designed to directly replace them in industrial applications (such as the "AC-" line from HPEVS) are suitable for lower voltage than modern EV motors, so if what you mean by "smaller battery pack" is fewer cells in series, that's valid. To me, "smaller battery pack" means less volume or lighter, and for the same total energy the volume and weight don't change significantly with voltage.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The 8 inch DC will take a *lot* less battery at full rated motor power to run for two hours than my 190HP BLDC at full rated power (stating the obvious which may not be so obvious). Hence "smaller pack" for a given cell tech/density in a small car than a big motor would need in a big car. A big motor in a small car would probably be similar with a performance limiter, but then you look in the mirror and see a trail of dollar bills you've thrown away

small car -> small motor -> small pack -> small car.

My original intent was to put it in a motorcycle or Fiero. The latter was a popular conversion using lead acid and retaining the transaxle, which was what I was going to convert, so a lithium pack would work well. Granddaughter won't be driving for a dozen more years, so I *might* clear off enough projects to get around to doing it then if I still have these pieces 🤔

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
The 8 inch DC will take a *lot* less battery at full rated motor power to run for two hours than my 190HP BLDC at full rated power (stating the obvious which may not be so obvious). Hence "smaller pack" for a given cell tech/density in a small car than a big motor would need in a big car. A big motor in a small car would probably be similar with a performance limiter, but then you look in the mirror and see a trail of dollar bills you've thrown away

small car -> small motor -> small pack -> small car.
Sure... here are more statements of the obvious:
  • more power takes more power
  • power multiplied by time equals energy.
You don't run the motor at full power all the time, and less output power requires less input power, so a smaller motor doesn't require less energy to do the same thing. The smaller pack is the result of the smaller car, not the smaller motor. The mass of the motor is a small part of the mass of the car, so while excess mass should be avoided and it makes little sense to buy more motor than you need, a big motor does not imply a big battery pack.

What does your 190HP BLDC weigh, and how much are you assuming that an 8" brushed DC motor weighs? Of course both are excessive for a motorcycle... my point is just that motor size - and motor voltage - does not strongly affect the required pack size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts