DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience or advice to give? I’m thinking about a reverse trike build with a dual in the rear and singles on the fronts. Looking for advice on brand and battery combinations. I’m new to EV builds but looking for 40 mile range and heavily modifying a registered 250cc motorcycle. Aluminum body.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I’m thinking about a reverse trike build with a dual in the rear and singles on the fronts.
I'm not sure that I understand what this means. Conventionally, "reverse trike" means that is has two front wheels and a single rear wheel, also known as the "tadpole" configuration, and opposite of the traditional "delta" trike. I assume that you are planning a reverse or tadpole trike.

So do you mean that the one wheel at the rear would be a dual wheel and tire setup like a DRW (dual rear wheel or "dually") truck? If so... why? One wider tire is better than two narrow tires mounted together in every way other than the ability to carry one spare which works for both the single tires on some axles and the pairs of tires on other axles. Are you just trying to mount two hub motors at the rear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. No,the dual it the motor(s). I think it’s Enernoc that makes a dual motor for a motorcycle rear wheel. I was thinking to run a dual motor on the rear and a single wheel motor on each front wheel. So it will not be a dual rear wheel.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
No,the dual it the motor(s). I think it’s Enernoc that makes a dual motor for a motorcycle rear wheel. I was thinking to run a dual motor on the rear and a single wheel motor on each front wheel. So it will not be a dual rear wheel.
Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks! :)

It doesn't need to be a dual motor - it could just be a larger motor - but that would work (as much as any hub-motor system works...). But does that mean dual controllers, too?

Do you mean EnerTrac? That would be lots of power (up to 40 kW continuous, up to 120 kW peak), but a list price around US$5000 for just the motors. :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts