DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get an opinion, if a motorhome is plugged in the mains and you are charging your batteries if you use an inverter to power a computer and say a tv the inverter would be using the batteries in that scenario, would the battery wear mean they would have to be replaced sooner or are the lead-acid batteries designed to withstand such use? After all starting batteries get used all the time if a vehicle is running, radios etc...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Lead batteries once depleted need to get back up to Full ASAP for longevity, usually takes 7+ hours no matter how many amps made available from the shore charger.

Any concurrent loads will feed off the same charger, but the lead House bank will soon be trailing down amps consumption so that may not delay reaching Full.

Once Full, the loads are not drawing down from the House bank, no cycling is going on so long as the charger Float current is larger than the loads' draw, so not shortening bank lifespan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Why don't you have a transfer switch to select shore power vs inverter power for the appliances?"

We get a lot of power cuts in winter, I got solar and very good batteries, so if the power goes out just for 5 minutes it will damage PC, so the solution I am thinking of is using in winter my motorhome to power PC and tv, so powers surge or brownouts will not affect pc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lead batteries once depleted need to get back up to Full ASAP for longevity, usually takes 7+ hours no matter how many amps made available from the shore charger.

Any concurrent loads will feed off the same charger, but the lead House bank will soon be trailing down amps consumption so that may not delay reaching Full.

Once Full, the loads are not drawing down from the House bank, no cycling is going on so long as the charger Float current is larger than the loads' draw, so not shortening bank lifespan.
So, if I understand you right, if the incoming amount of charge is at least equal to the outgoing usage it should not count towards the life cycle of a battery?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
So, if I understand you right, if the incoming amount of charge is at least equal to the outgoing usage it should not count towards the life cycle of a battery?
Exactly. Say you have loads pulling 300W, a 400W charger will be putting 100W into the bank.

Loads go up to 600W now 200W is being pulled from the bank.

If that is only a short time maybe bank capacity is only depleted 5% then back to Full in an hour, not really "a cycle".

But if it goes on long enough battery drawn down to say 15% SoC, that shortens lifespan as much as say 20 regular cycles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts