DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok way off topic i admit but i've a real pet hate here. Just WHAT is going on with modern movies? Just when you think the good guy or whatever is going in for the save..........no. Instead , everyone dies. Fade to black. The end. I mean WTF? Fair enough if something is based on fact but if i'm going to make up a story it may as well have a happy ending. At least leave a little ambiguity like say Vanishing Point:D

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
To have the hero save the day suggests that an individual can make a difference in the world.

Can't have that kind of thinking in the "new world order."

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Blues Brothers - 1980. Still one of my all time favorites. Such total lack of respect for "the man" and I love how they mock just about anyone and everyone from hovering nuns to swat teams made up of obsessive compulsive quarterbacks:D

Ok, the car crashes were also cool. BB 2000 had it's moments but no where near as fun to watch.

Last movie I watched in a theater was avatar 3D........:rolleyes: Sure the graphics were great but good grief, what a political guilt trip! Once I figured out what was being shoved down my throat I started cheering for the bad guys. I don't like being preached to.

It was probably a good 10 years before that when I last set foot in a movie theater.

Lately I've developed a taste for japanese anime and find the different perspective from outside of hollywood is more apealing to me. Takes some getting used to and admittedly it's very much an aquired taste not for everyone enjoys.

If you were to ask me what my top ten list of favorite movies were, I don't think I could even name that many favorites. Still never got around to watching the final eposode of lord of the rings.

·
Registered
926 Posts
You're all gonna laugh, but one of my favourite movies has always been..(gets ready for the onslaught)...Titanic!

No, not for the girly love stuff, but because I've always been interested in that ship since childhood. When that movie came out (was it '97?) I saw it 4 times, then bought the DVD.

I'd be happy to watch the entire movie from the engine room perspective, watching the engineers operate the engines, oiling this, adjusting that. Don't think it would have been quite the blockbuster though if it was filmed only inside the engine room... Sad, I know.

Haven't been to the movies in years. Did watch "Zahrada" (The Garden) last week on TV however. Take my advice - don't watch it. Slovak surreal comedy doesn't work...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPqmN_bdbcI
(Grr, embed didn't work)

If only I could see the "What the f-" look on your face after watching the above clip. I had the same face on for the whole movie. :confused:

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PhantomPholly sort of strikes a cord with the pessimist in me, I guess mainstream movies sort of mirror the culture and attitudes of the time for the most part.

"Raise the titanic" was much better:D

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Gavin,

that movie was supposed to be a comedy????:eek:

And I thought late 80s hollywood 'comedies' were bad.

I am a strange character though. I could rant all day about time lost watchine movies that I shouldn't have paid for but at the same time I could bo so easily entertained by something like this:

Oh, just remembered another one. "The Gods must be Crazy"

·
Registered
230 Posts
What movies have you been watching to get you such an uproar? I kind of thought Gran Torino's ending was a bit of let down.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
What movies have you been watching to get you such an uproar? I kind of thought Gran Torino's ending was a bit of let down.
Gran Tourino was probably the only moving of real cinematic significance in the past few years - an excellent film.

That, of course, is why Hollywood would not even nominate it for an award.

·
Administrator
6,060 Posts
Hi Guys
What movies do you watch?
The ones I see all appear to be about the unsung individual who saves the day despite everything the authorities can do!

The only one with a dark ending recently was the new Harry Potter - and that ends dark because it is part one

I have not gone to see Avatar - I don't like the noble savage mythos

·
Registered
251 Posts
The Punisher part 1 and 2. The Boondock saints 1 & 2. =)

I like revenge movies. =) Thinking of the NWO.

Anything really recent that is good? Haven't seen any.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts