DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Volvo 240 Range ?
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My name is Rein. Im Dutch a former motorcycle e-commerce entrepreneur. I have a great passion for cars as well and am getting more intrigued by EV conversions by the second. It really sparks my interests ;-)

I even set up a blog ColdRod, to share cool news, but also to learn as we go about this cool world.

Hope to educate & educate others alongside as well :)

The almighty Google got me stranded here and I am pondering about how & what concerning my first EV project.

I have a set of wishes as specs: Approx. 250/300km range | Approx 150 km/h Top Speed | Budget €20-25k max.

I have no EV Car experience, but do always maintain my cars and have built plenty of motorcycles from the ground up.

For the car I am looking at 40 years old (tax and style wise) | 4 doors (like to bring the dog along | cheap to maintain in Europe...

A Volvo 244 Brick has caught my eyes, but originally I am more a USA car kinda guy, but a 4 door impala etc would be a bit heavy Im afraid...

That's me!

· Registered
Volvo 240 Range ?
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 1996 Impala is a full tonne lighter than a Tesla Model X...

Dogs also do well in 2 door hatches.
Haha true, a big American Car, does have big door. The furry monster will get in there, but, here in the Netherlands we have no tax on cars that are 40 years and older. The rest of about everything in life we are taxed to death here, so I like to, for once, benefit from this haha. Did have a 1966 Impala before (burned down by an arsonist...)

· Registered
Volvo 240 Range ?
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe an ex cop car or taxi - worthless for taxation and the motors/trans would be beaten to death, which makes them good conversion candidates (assuming frame is not cracked)...Caprice and Crown Victoria.
All great ideas, but hard to come by here in Europe (Netherlands). The best is to find one overhere with Dutch plates and a broken engine or so...
Allready have a short(long) list of potentials haha:

Pontiac Grand Le Mans
oldsmobile grand marquis
Plymouth satellite
Ford Fairlane
Jensen Interceptor
Chevrolet Impala
Chevrolet Caprice
Chevrolet Chevelle
Chevrolet Nova
Buick Riviera
Cadillac Seville
Buick Estate Wagon
Ford Falcon
Ford Galaxie
Chevrolet chevelle
Lincoln Mark 5
Buick Elektra
Chrysler New Yorker

· Registered
5,367 Posts
Mercury Grand Marquis

Pontiac is either Grand Am or Lemans (which is a Canadian model, iirc)

Olds Vista Cruiser was my fave "estate" car back in the day

The Caprice also had a wagon option

Olds Cutlass and Buick Skylark were Chevelle cousins.

The Jensen sticks out like a sore thumb in that list 😂

· Registered
Volvo 240 Range ?
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mercury Grand Marquis

Pontiac is either Grand Am or Lemans (which is a Canadian model, iirc)

Olds Vista Cruiser was my fave "estate" car back in the day

The Caprice also had a wagon option

Olds Cutlass and Buick Skylark were Chevelle cousins.

The Jensen sticks out like a sore thumb in that list 😂
Haha, yeah, that Jensen is just very cool haha. Ahh, well, we shall see what the local marketplaces will serve me ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts