DIY Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Unfortunately I am out of time. I will be traveling for work until July, so no progress is likely to occur until then. Additionally I have encountered another issue, either my VCM has failed, or the wiring harness connector needs to be re-pinned. I rang out all of the pins for the LBC, VCM, Inverter, and PDM connectors and got satisfactory results. All of this was done with no voltage applied (disconnected from 12V and HV battery). However, when I plugged everything back my the car no longer attempts to "start". I immediately get the EV/HEV system light, followed by "turtle" or "limp" mode light.

Again, I disconnected the cabling and rang everything out. Cable wise everything checks out. There may however, be a few pushed pins or loose contacts due to the poor contact I got on some of my probes on some of the VCM connections. I plan to re-pin or jumper these connections to the VCM eventually.

On a lighter note, knowing that the cabling was not likely the root cause of all my problems, I inspected the precharge circuit and found the precharge resistor value to be very high. I ordered a new precharge resistor and compared the values. The new resistor is around 30 Ohms, which is what I was expecting. Hopefully once I fix the VCM or other ECU cabling issues, the car will start up.

Leaf Spy also offers some clues to my issues. The attached images are before & after this problem occured of the ECU version function. As you can see, twelve ECU's were detected before and I am now down to eight. My suspect area is the VCM and/or associated cabling due to the fact that it is detected and the Motor Controller,LBC,Charger and TCU are not.

IMG_0571.PNG
IMG_0580.PNG
I've got lots to think about during my trip. Hopefully I will think of a solution!

Finally, I will try to push the car out of the garge into the sun tomorrow for some pictures, as I have received some messages requesting additional information and pictures of the progress so far.

Thanks for reading, see you all in July! (But I'll likely lurk and post during my off time still).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Semi-good news! I re-pinned the VCM plugs to allow better contact. I now can get the car to attempt to “start” again. Unfortunately I the ready light flashes, contacts click, and then the -!- warning light kicks in and the ready light goes out-tripping off the HV battery. Similar symptoms when I attempt to charge. Charger kicks in for a moment and then goes out again.

On the bright side, I pushed the car out and snapped a few pictures with better light:

Now she’s officially on hold and shoved against the wall of the garage to make room for my wife to charge the 2018 Leaf in garage while I’m away.

To be continued!

41 - 43 of 43 Posts