DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My project car is a barn find fiberglass replica of a 1952 MG TD on a 1970 VW Beetle chassis. I don’t think it has been driven much in the past 18 years. The guy I got it from said it was his dad’s project car, the tires have a manufacture date in 2001, but look brand new, the title was transferred from father to son in 2003, and I think it pretty much sat since then. Having sat for so long it had some issues that needed to be addressed, I’m working on those now and am beefing up the brakes, suspension and steering linkage in preparation for an EV conversion.

Since the car has a state issued vin I don’t have an official curb weight, so I went to a local truck stop and put it on their scales. The scales showed it weighs 1600lbs. I assume that because the number ended in double zeros, that truck scales round to the nearest 100, so I have a car that weighs between 1550lbs and 1649lbs, or 3-400lbs less than the original Beetle.

I’m planning that the car will eventually being a show/parade/afternoon ride with the wife car and that it will be garaged in the winter. I live in the middle of the Boise-Nampa metropolitan and want to be able to drive to the extreme extents of the populated region and back home on a single charge, a 120 mile range would just about do that, but if I can’t make that work I’ll probably try to get somewhere between 60 and 80 miles.

Here’s what I’m thinking:
After build weight ~2000lbs
120 mile range (more likely less than that though)
Highway travel at 65mph (that’s what it does now as an ICE)
Conversion cost $20K or less
restoration cost $5-10K
-of course I’m down for saving money wherever I can.

Through my internet search I’ve found three other 1952 MG replicas that have been converted to EVs, but other than a great blog about one of the projects I haven’t seen much other detail on those builds.

This is my first EV build so I’m anticipating an uphill learning curve, but that’s why I decided to do this.

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,158 Posts
Hi Sounds like a plan

Your biggest problem will be fitting enough batteries for that range - you may want to think about a two pronged approach

About 50 miles on board range

A small trailer with about 70 miles range - which normally makes it's living as a house storage battery

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sounds like a plan

Your biggest problem will be fitting enough batteries for that range - you may want to think about a two pronged approach

About 50 miles on board range

A small trailer with about 70 miles range - which normally makes it's living as a house storage battery
Hey, thanks for the trailer idea, maybe I’ll make that a follow on project to the car, something that will go well with its design. I’ve often thought about building a teardrop trailer, so perhaps a small one of those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you located? Are you thinking AC or DC for your motor/controller setup? The VW platform is great for conversions.

I live about 25 miles from Boise, Idaho. Right now I’m leaning toward AC. Yes the VW is a great platform for EV conversion, just like it has been a great platform for fiberglass mods, when I’m done with this project I’ll have a car that is both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts