DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is the weight/range of your car? I was thinking about upgrading my Impulse 9" to a Warp 9" and going from 114V of floodeds to 156V of AGMs for a bit more fun. I only drive 12-18 miles/day on average, but I worry about range issues because of the hills here.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks for the response. You should be really proud of the car.
What's up with the prices? 30% increase from one month to the next...:eek:

Not that I don't trust you re. the batteries, but I was hoping for a non-biased review...;)

What kind of BMS are you using (I see the extra wires to each battery) and the picture of the trunk...

Manny

·
Registered
17 Posts
No problems with the Impulse 9" so far. I have a Dayton blower keeping the brushes clean and cool. Due to my EV's weight I really *should* have a Warp 9".

FWIW, I (usually) drive like your grandma :) I average 13 miles daily with moderate hills. Some days I do 24 miles. Local speed limit is 30MPH, with two roads at 40MPH. On occasion I do 18 miles at 55-60MPH to a friend's house.

Typical motor amps are:

100 - 200A Cruising on flat ground
300 - 400A Climbing hills (~30MPH, not accelerating)
400 - 600A Accelerating from a stop (or _mild_ acceleration uphill!)
>600A - Only when pulling out in traffic, or if I'm lazy and leave it in 3rd gear.

I use motor amps as a driving efficiency indicator. It's much easier to glance at my tachometer (showing motor amps) than down at the battery amp gauge.

Battery amps are usually 40-150A for cruising, 250A+ to maintain 30-40MPH on hills! The Zilla lights my battery indicator when pack voltage sags to 1.75v/cell. I try to keep this "murder light" off as much as possible. It sometimes blips on during acceleration and for 10-30 seconds on hills.

I've been known to "hot rod" it to the grocery store when my car is fresh off the charger. It's only 6 miles round trip, but at 114V I can't keep the motor amps up very long. I'd love a 156V AGM pack, but worry about winter range with uninsulated battery boxes. I could fit 13 group 31 batteries easily.

Another guy in town has a Scirroco with an ADC 9" and Curtis 1221C @ 108V. Weight is similar, but the Scirroco is a 4 speed. The Scirroco seems quicker off the line, and uses fewer battery amps! On one hill my car uses 250+ battery amps and the Scirroco only 125A :confused: I hope the difference is a bum ammeter (his *never* goes above 200A!)

Curtis controllers don't current limit at low duty cycles (the Curtis lurch), and the ADC 9" has better torque/amp, so the ADC should accelerate more efficiently. But TWICE the amps???

Maybe I can test my new Z1K in the Scirroco before it goes into my Toyota Pickup :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts