I had the idea of adding an electric motor to a car about 12 years ago. I didn't wont to remove the petrol engine due to range concerns just add an electric. Recently everything lined up as far as money, time and having a suitable car is concerned and it is now very close to complete. Here's the parts rundown
Car: Toyota Estima 1992
Electric motor : 9.8kw series DC (out of a fork lift)
Controller: Alltrax SPM 72400
Batteries: 6 x 110ah lead acid
Curtis 6 pot box
The motor is fitted in the back of the car directly above the diff. Pulley fitted between the diff and the drive shaft. Running B section v-belt between the two through a hole cut in the floor. I've never seen it done like this before.
The plan is that the car will have 3 running modes
-Petrol as normal
-Petrol with electric assist (whenever)
-Electric, with the petrol motor idling in neutral keeping the power steer and brakes all good. Engaged at speed, push and glide style of op
Im so close to finishing I'm getting butterflies. One idling pulley to machine and the pot box mounting bracket to fab n fit and it's done. I don't know how it's going to go, if at all. Should do, well that's what I've been telling myself since I started
Look forward to your comments, thanks for reading.