DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,065 Posts
One thing I did with the cell holders, is since they are tight, on the one end of the cell, take some of the plastic covering off (use an xacto knife to remove the heat shrink that would sit inside the holder). I did this and they're just fine.

And as far as using only 100 cells, I agree, you'll need to go higher.

Yes they'll do 20C, but with that higher current comes voltage drop. The more you draw the worse it gets. I'd suggest putting multiple batteries in parallel, then series to get the voltage you need. Also, at higher discharge rates, the cycle life decreases, so you might be buying a pack sooner than you think.

And if the voltage drop of any single cells at 20C is too high, you'll need to immediately sense this and cut off the pack, or you could reverse a cell and ruin it.

· Registered
4,065 Posts
but with a pack that is pulling so many amps like that, the batteries will come out of balance pretty quickly.

I'd almost opt for individual chargers for each cell and only have a monitoring system onboard to detect LVC.

· Registered
4,065 Posts
can you give me a link of the LVC or BMS that would be perfect for headways?

thanks,
Our BMS from Manzanita Micro or one from Elithion
www.manzanitamicro.com
There are others, like MiniBMS but I'm not as familiar with them. I would absolutely avoid the cheap chinese BMS boards, as they have a high failure rate.

LVC means low voltage cutoff, its not a product, its a feature that a BMS should have to protect from overdischarge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.