DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help have miles or70 car need original size batteries it is 72 volts with 6 12 volt agm batteries how many ah was original batteries and what ah lithium needed. I think they came with 150 batteries but not sure.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Need help have miles or70 car need original size batteries it is 72 volts with 6 12 volt agm batteries how many ah was original batteries and what ah lithium needed. I think they came with 150 batteries but not sure.
It would be nice if you used capitalization and punctuation in your post :( But a short google turns up this:
OR70 Miles Electric Vehicles also made the OR70, a variant of which travels above 35 mph (56 km/h), but it is not legal on public roads. NASA employs this model as their campuses are exempt from this particular law. The company had reported the suspension of OR70 model production from the 2008 model year.
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_Electric_Vehicles

Can you not simply look at a battery which is in the vehicle and get the part number? Maybe you could contact the company http://www.milesev.com/

I suspect you could install Lithium batteries but they most likely will require mounting modifications (different size), a BMS, different charger and possible control/instrumentation changes.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Miles, believe it or not is still in business, it can take 3 months but they can get you the $350+ each proprietary 13.6 volt batteries for the car.

My car with the original batteries would go a legitimate 40 miles on a charge with the 4x 12v 115lb flooded chinese AGMs. (you need 50psi in the tires and no alignment issues to do this with no brake drag either)

Your OR70 72 volt car is MUCH less efficient, it has higher gears and the motor is more powerfull but also 7% less efficient at the crank.

With your gearing and motor I can only imagine about a 40 mile range, much like my car but you would do that 40 miles much more rapidly.

As for batteries the chinese AGMs are rated at 75amps for 2 hours, they are true trolley batteries and their ahr rating is proprietary and matched to the current draw of the zx40. To get the same range I had to use 250ahr greensaver gel batteries.

Their size is proprietary and does not match any off the shelf battery, the cost to convert to lithium is likely not worth it as the original batteries were great so long as you used them every day and never overcharge or leave them sit.

Mine dried out (previous owner left on a dumb charger) and I had to add water. 2 came back perfectly and are still in use to this day (4 years later) the others blew up a cell and were junk.

Miles number should be
1-800-377-8979

Good Luck
Ryan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts