DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Need help setting up charging system!

5212 19
I'm getting ready to build a light weight trike and need some good advice on what's already going to be an unconvential project. I've got 2 deep cycle 12v Optimas coming. I plan to use them in parallel with a pedal powered generator that will generate more than 48V pretty easily. Yes, I know It's definately outside the box, but I'm going for it. Ideally, I hope to set it up so that the generator charges the batteries and any excess voltage is automatically dumped to the brushed Etek style motor I'm using. Would it be possible to have battery A only engage when charging voltage is reached and battery B only engage when charging voltage is reached for it? Can I do this without a charging system? Am I just dreaming? I know that a slider throttle could do part of this but, I'm hoping to make it all work together seemlessly. Any advice would be grealy appreciated.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Please provide links of the examples you mention (powering 1000W inverters, 200W lightbulbs, 1500W subwoofers, etc...)

I found a link to a band that uses bicycles to generate enough power for their live show. Linked here: http://gingerninjas.com/footprint/our-system/

Sounds a lot like what you're talking about... except, of course, for the details.

Their setup requires an average of 160-200 watts of steady power (with peaks of 1000W). They use at least four bikes. And they acknowledge that the average human can only output between 30-120 watts continuously. Lance Armstrong, being on a completely different level, may be able to sustain upwards of 400W... but I don't think you're Lance Armstrong. Forgive me, if you are.

A professional cyclist can probably peak at close to one horsepower, but not for long.

The generator may very well be able to put out far more than 100W, but the person powering the generator won't be able to for long. It may do 6000 watts @ 48v, generating 125 amps. But no human could.

Major was constructively informing you of the power generating capacity of the average human being.

Every one of those examples you list say nothing about continuous power. Sure you can power a 1000W 12v inverter, but not enough to sustain a 1000W load. You can power a 250W lightbulb, but not for long. You can power a 1500W subwoofer, but not if it's continuously output 1500W of power.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.