DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i need a very affordable 12v system. im almost donemy vehicle. all i have left is wiring everythingup together. i cannot afford the 150-300$ of a dc-dc converter.

should i buy a 80ah 12v rv battery (50-60$) + i already own an old 12v charger.

use the car battery the car came with, and use a laptop as a small dc converter to help it?

do i even have any other options?( i dont have power windows, and i bought led lights or the car, so i dont need a very powerful 12v system

any advice asap would be wonderful.

thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Kind of depends on what your HV system voltage is.

I know the Soliton-1 controller is very sensitive about low controller voltages to protect the precharge-circuit and internal contactor. I had problems running only a 12v accesory battery, as the voltage would dip too low with other accessories on and I'd get protection cut-out or a flashing warning light.

But as for DC-DC converters, I think Chennic makes a 500w version for about $100-120. Or if that's too much, people have quick and dirtily (word?) adapted PC power supplies to work. They can be had for very cheap.

Or, as you mention a laptop PS might work.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my voltage is 72 volts right now, but as soon as the car is done im going to try and build my own 144v controller so i plan to switch to 144. the controller is an alltrax so it doesnt need a 12v system

1 - 3 of 3 Posts