DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
Haven't heard that name in a long time.

However, someone recently used a (~$150) Gen 2 Prius controller, with a little custom hardware, to make a 350v 1000A DC controller for his RX8 on the OpenInverter forums, which he's nearly melted a few times pushing it to its absolute limits racing. The swap-out hardware board was Damien's based design, but he never built it, the guy took the design and fabricated his own. He's been meaning to get around to posting his design files for a while. The impressions of it seemed to be that it was ridiculously cheap for the scale of the controller it was.

For as much as anyone's still doing DC or forklift-like builds, I'd say that's the new cost-effective meta.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
do you happen to know where this link is?
Here's the build thread: Budget RX8 build Prius gen2 DC - openinverter forum

Here's the development thread started by Damien and contributed to by a few others: Prius Gen2 Inverter DC Motor Controller - openinverter forum

On the last page there somewhere, a different person had written some different code for it I think.

I was wrong, he melted his motor, temporarily, the inverter held up just fine to 1000 amps, at only 200v. I think it'll take 350+v, so, lots of power still left on the table for him. He was only using 266 hp.

And, the guy who built the RX8 (EV8) is going to be finishing off his design soon and publishing it. Which, he does seem to be regularly working on.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the build thread: Budget RX8 build Prius gen2 DC - openinverter forum

Here's the development thread started by Damien and contributed to by a few others: Prius Gen2 Inverter DC Motor Controller - openinverter forum

On the last page there somewhere, a different person had written some different code for it I think.

I was wrong, he melted his motor, temporarily, the inverter held up just fine to 1000 amps, at only 200v. I think it'll take 350+v, so, lots of power still left on the table for him. He was only using 266 hp.

And, the guy who built the RX8 (EV8) is going to be finishing off his design soon and publishing it. Which, he does seem to be regularly working on.
Hey I cant seem to register with open Invert forum cuz I don't know the Pass phrase question of what does 'C' mean in the acronym NMC... do you know what this is?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.