DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a Covid project. Was thinking of doing my own conversion. I have an old (1930-1950) electric forklift with what are supposed to be “Edison” batteries. Can anyone advise me if these batteries are suitable for a conversion. Any additional advice appreciated, I’m a novice at ev conversion

·
Registered
951 Posts
You would have to slowly overcharge them then check electrolyte levels.
Full as needed to see if they work.

Edison batteries are very durable but they also have high peukert and a high self discharge rate and don’t charge efficiently.

They also offgas much more than standard batteries during recharging.

so yes they work fine but they are heavy like lead for the amount of capacity they deliver And also require Steady “maintenance “ To keep them filled and clean float oil in tow.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Basically NOT useful for a conversion - but the motor probably is useful
Yeah, if you are expecting to make something with a decent range, and capable of reaching highway speeds, those batteries are not going to work.

However, if you do indeed have a set of 70+ year old nickle-iron batteries, and they do still hold a charge... it seems like it would be pretty cool to see them get put back in action.

If what you want is a project to eat up some time, what about making an old-old-old school electric car? Covert a model-T or something like that? How big is the battery bank?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts