DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a conversion of a 65 Corvair Convertible and will be using a Tesla power plant... to get full power I will need to feed it 400 kw.

I plan on using LG Chem battery modules rated a 60 VDC and output of 10C.

I plan on configuring the battery system as 6S4P would this be able to provide the 400 kw the tesla motor would need.

Thanks for your help y'all!

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am planning a conversion of a 65 Corvair Convertible and will be using a Tesla power plant... to get full power I will need to feed it 400 kw.

I plan on using LG Chem battery modules rated a 60 VDC and output of 10C.

I plan on configuring the battery system as 6S4P would this be able to provide the 400 kw the tesla motor would need.

Thanks for your help y'all!
Am I right that you're planning on using 24 modules (6s4p)? That's almost 1,000 lbs of modules... pretty porky for a little convertible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... yeah but considering that I'm taking out the engine and transaxle that is @ 700 lbs... and I plan on taking out the floorboards and replacing it with aluminum because the batteries will be spread out in the middle of the car I'm calculating the weight to be @ 3200 lbs and the stock weight is 2700 dry... so net of +500 lbs and a stock tesla power plant is 270 lbs.

The car had originally 90 to 140 hp but with the Tesla motor 400 kW = 536 HP... so yeah maybe a bit heavier but should still throw you back in the seat.

I just want to know if the batteries and the configuration will get me there...

With this battery configuration I believe I'll have @ 60 kwh so calculating the weight 3200 lbs/100 = 320 watts to 1 mile so that equates 60 kwh/320 = @ 188 miles to the charge.

If I'm all wrong with this then correct me please.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, strictly speaking, the module groups are 60v, 2.5Kwh each. That gives us 41.6Ah per module. At 10c, you could draw 416 amps per module. With 4 in parallel, you would be able to draw 1,664 amps. 6 of the modules in series will get you to 360v. That's almost 600Kw.

So, yes, you could draw 400Kw from that battery pack, even with some sag, to run the Tesla drive unit.

Do you know what the gvwr of that car is? It might come into play.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GVWR of 65 Corvair Convertible
shipping weight 1213 kg / 2675 lbs base curb weight: 1250 kg / 2756 lbs

After a bit more research the engine and transaxle weights 500 lbs.

The batteries will add 960 lbs the tesla power plant 270 lbs which is a total of 1230 lbs so minus the 500 lbs of the corvair drivetrain that's a net gain 730 lbs.

Like I said in previous post I will build a floorboard/battery box out of aluminium which I hope to shave a couple hundred more pounds so we'll see what the total weight will be but I plan on it being equally distributed between both front and rear axles

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
Hi
I would be inclined to build your car with 6S2P - which should be enough to give you the power but would keep the weight more sensible

The other 12 modules could be mounted on a trailer to give you more range
Or fitted to the car AFTER you have passed inspection

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
GVWR of 65 Corvair Convertible
shipping weight 1213 kg / 2675 lbs base curb weight: 1250 kg / 2756 lbs

After a bit more research the engine and transaxle weights 500 lbs.

The batteries will add 960 lbs the tesla power plant 270 lbs which is a total of 1230 lbs so minus the 500 lbs of the corvair drivetrain that's a net gain 730 lbs.
That's a start, but it's not the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). GVWR is how much the vehicle is permitted to weigh; the concern is that the converted vehicle, with passengers and cargo, will be too heavy for the structure, suspension, or brakes. The GVWR should be shown on a placard on the driver's door edge or jamb... but who knows what is still on a half-century-old car. The placard should also show front and rear axle weight limits (GAWR).

When adding up weights of EV components, don't forget the dozens of other smaller components that you haven't listed (the charger would be the biggest, but there are lots more), or the housing for the battery modules.

These LG modules appear to be those used in the Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid, which were discussed in detail in Batteries used by EVWest: where from ? They are set up for cold-plate thermal management; are you planning for a cooling system for them? You do need cooling for the drive unit, in any case.

If you don't need to retain the use of the back seat, I think a later-style Corvair like this could be a great choice for a fun conversion with Tesla components.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so in full disclosure I first planned on making this car a mid-engine V8 muscle car with a hopped up LS3 hooked to a G50 transaxle with a C5 corvette suspension... I was planning on building a tube chassis and gutting the stock subframe to support the engine and handle the power of the LS3... I was planning on anywhere from 600 to 800 hp but my head turned when I saw a few videos from the EV West folks and their BMW.

So keeping the same plan I am still building the tube structure with the C5 suspension, but instead I'm making an EV hot rod... Everyone and their brother have done a CorV8 in every way possible. I would like to try and keep the back seat and if I can get the power I need from a 6s2p battery setup then I'll think it over... the less weight is attractive but I would still really like the range though...

So the stock gvwr kinda goes out the window since it will be a custom chassis with C5 suspension with competition coilovers, 4x Disk brakes, R&P steering from a Mustang II... so yeah it's more that just a bunch of stuff plopped in a stock Corvair.

I'm a video editor/producer and 3d artist by trade but grew up on a farm and built and restored old cars growing up which payed my way through college. (I plan to document the build)

I've never done an electric car but always wanted to, mechanically I can make the car sound for the weight and torque but just need clarification on battery power and charging setup and BMS or No BMS... I've seen evidence both ways... I'm aware that it is more than just batteries and motor and I'm getting all that information as well. It's just that I like to have a plan before I start a build... I know there will be gotchas along the way... there always is.

So I hope this gives more insight to the build and me...

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
OK so in full disclosure I first planned on making this car a mid-engine V8 muscle car with a hopped up LS3 hooked to a G50 transaxle with a C5 corvette suspension... I was planning on building a tube chassis and gutting the stock subframe to support the engine and handle the power of the LS3... I was planning on anywhere from 600 to 800 hp but my head turned when I saw a few videos from the EV West folks and their BMW.

So keeping the same plan I am still building the tube structure with the C5 suspension, but instead I'm making an EV hot rod... Everyone and their brother have done a CorV8 in every way possible. I would like to try and keep the back seat...
This extent of customization is important - most comments and suggestions will be relevant to the base vehicle to be helpful, but when nothing but the general size and proportions are kept, that changes what input will be useful.

For example, the Tesla drive units place the motor transversely behind the axle line, and this means that they work well with some suspension designs (including that of the Corvair), but are problematic with many others.

You may be in luck with the C5 components - although structure and control arm mounting points for double-wishbone and multi-link rear suspensions usually collide with the Tesla drive unit, one builder has found that the combination works:
Tesla powered Mercedes Vito
(Yes, this project's body is a Mercedes van, but the chassis is all C5 and custom tube frames)

So the stock gvwr kinda goes out the window since it will be a custom chassis with C5 suspension with competition coilovers, 4x Disk brakes, R&P steering from a Mustang II... so yeah it's more that just a bunch of stuff plopped in a stock Corvair.
Yes, that makes the stock GVWR irrelevant! It would make sense to check the Gross Axle Weight Ratings of the C5 suspensions and stay comfortably within those.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information _brian and I will do my due diligence with the corvette suspension... I do believe it will be better if I curb my battery capacity to only 12 batteries 6s2p I just want to make sure I get to my target power to run the tesla motor to maxim hp.

Thanks again and I'm also need guidance on charging setup as well.

Thanks again all for your knowledge.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm doing something similar to my ex race-car, also thinking bigger is better but feel even 3 modules in 6S will be overkill, by bigger concern is cooling so I think that additional capacity will lower the discharge rate thus keeping the pack cooler, however for 10 seconds will any active cooling make any difference. Charging I will use a Tesla charger as I'm already set up for that. i have the idea that Tesla model S BMS slaves are the way to go. I am firmly in the BMS camp as I have seen the results of slight mistakes. I like to fit and forget and don't want to be standing over the car as it charges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts