DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Need some suggestions on what to buy for a Leaf motor/inverter/charger build

4684 Views 47 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  darko
I am putting a Leaf motor and gearbox into the rear end of a 1987 Porsche 924S. At least, that's the plan.

I already have a 2015 EM57 Motor, the Leaf inverter (2015 or 2014 I think) and the corresponding Nissan charger. I'm looking to get a bench setup going. But one issue is that I don't have a battery pack selected/purchased yet. Given that the leaf motor needs high voltages, my options are bit more limited on what batteries I can fit in the vehicle. So here are a few questions I'm hoping people can help me with.

1. Question about nomenclature - when people say "controller", are they referring to the inverter in the leaf stack? I guess in my mind the "controller" would be the brains determining the signals/speed to drive the motor at - like the Thunderstruck EV VCU provides. But in other forums when people talk about "controllers" people suggest using the Leaf inverter with the leaf motor when they are talking about "controllers". Anyhow, just trying to wrap my head around what people call these various components to avoid miscommunication. Perhaps there is a controller built into the leaf inverter they are referring to?
  2. I'm having trouble deciding between the Thunderstruck EV VCU, Resolve EV "controller", or the OpenInverter stuff. I don't know much about all 3 of them, but I've seen folks suggest that if you use the Resolve EV controller then you can use the Leaf battery pack and Leaf BMS as is. So I'm wondering if I need to decide on what batteries and BMS I will use first before I invest in one of those three.
  3. Since I'm having trouble finding a relatively recent Leaf battery pack, I'm thinking about cobbling something together to create the high voltages that it needs (up to 400V). I'm thinking about getting some 80V lawnmower batteries and wiring either 3 or 4 of them in series just to use in a benchtop test where I would be putting very little load on the motor to just test things out. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on using this to create the high DC voltage I need to run the Leaf inverter. I saw the video with the guy using the rectifier across a 240VAC line but I don't like that approach.

Any other suggestions on how to select the battery pack to buy and the VCU/controller to use would be greatly appreciated.
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Remember, 312V is just the nominal voltage. Their chart gives a range of 200-420V for that configuration.

I visited ElectricGT a few months ago. I really liked their battery configurations. They seemed willing to sell for DIY, but that might have been with their motor packages. Can't remember :rolleyes:

And I'm also eyeing that Volvo pack from Battery Hookup. Just gotta find out if they'll ship to Hawaii!
That Volvo pack does look pretty cool. Thanks for sharing that. I'm just wondering what year and what capacity is still left in them. I'm struggling with the idea of spending a lot of money on a battery pack (and then all of the time figuring out how to mount, wire, charge, and monitor them) and having very little life in them. If I can spend more up front and spend my time in something that will last longer and have better range for most of those years, that seems like the better choice (my time is more valuable at the moment than money). But, as with all things it is a trade-off. <sigh> If anyone knows more info about the Volvo batteries they are selling and how much life I could expect from them, that would be great info.

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
at 13:50 David Poz says these modules from the volvo battery pack are testing as new.
later floyd
well, he said THAT one was testing as new. He suggested in the video that it was replaced likely because of a fluid/coolant leak. I guess I'm not sure if that is how all of the modules they are selling are expecting to sell.

· Registered
1987 Porsche 924S
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Have you emailed Battery hook up and asked what percentage of capacity most of the Volvo packs they have sold have? or if they guarantee a percentage of capacity?
later floyd
no i haven't. I can do that, although I wanted to also ask here because I would trust the experience of someone who has actually bought a pack recently more than the sales guy. But I'll send them an email and see what they say.

· Registered
2015 Leaf, 1964 Oliver 1800 Tractor
25 Posts
41 - 48 of 48 Posts