DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just got my interface module in today. I would like the screen to be a little bigger. Could I plug a dual port onto the back of the single port and run another ethernet cable to an lcd screen? Anyone have any suggestions as to which lcd screen to use taking affordability into account?

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
It's canbus, not ethernet, so the LCD has to be inteligent and be able to read canbus. As long as the Interface isn't the point of termination, you can put as many on as you'd like.

If you want a larger LCD, you might need to invest in some software and write your own program or find something that can interface with canbus. Lots of off the shelf software will do OBD-II, but I don't know about canbus.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
And as far as I know CAN only defines how to send data (ie how the packets have to be formatted), not the content of the data so even if you find a CAN-able display it doesn't mean it will understand what the controller says.

I'm not 100% about this (it's been over 10 years since I worked with CAN and I only wrote drivers for the hardware so I never looked that deep into the specs) so I might be wrong, but I've never seen a mandatory spec over what packet ID should correspond to what value which means that you probably will have to write your own software to make sure the display and controller can "talk" to eachother.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And as far as I know CAN only defines how to send data (ie how the packets have to be formatted), not the content of the data so even if you find a CAN-able display it doesn't mean it will understand what the controller says.

I'm not 100% about this (it's been over 10 years since I worked with CAN and I only wrote drivers for the hardware so I never looked that deep into the specs) so I might be wrong, but I've never seen a mandatory spec over what packet ID should correspond to what value which means that you probably will have to write your own software to make sure the display and controller can "talk" to eachother.
I guess it may just be to much trouble to bother with...
For 313 dollars I thought the screen would be a little bit bigger.
For this kind of money I could have bought a laptop or put it towards a new battery pack. Having the controller interface with a laptop seems like a no brainer to me:(:(:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts