DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, I'm looking to build an EV with a 1976 Ford Courier. I picked this truch because this was the first truck I ever owned. I thought it would be nice to those memories alive.

So I'm looking at the following....

Zilla LV controller 1000A
Warp 9 motor @ Running 144V
Optima Yellow Top batteries

Now I have a question, what makes one choose between 6v,8v, and 12v batteries? Amp hours? Weight? If you have an EV tell me why you chose your batteries?

I'm in the process of removing the ICE now. (This won't take very long) Then I'm going to get everything prep'd for the componets.

I'm looking to achive a range of 60 miles with a top end of 75-80 MPH. Of course running the Zilla @ 1000A will deplete me very quickly, so maybe throttling this back a bit. Any ideas would be helpful.

I can fab just about anything, welding, bending, etc. And can machine most of my own parts so putting this together won't be bad. But over all I'm looking to spend approx. $5500 for the conversion. I'm sure I'll go over this.

Any ideas for my build?

-Rob C

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Well guys, I'm looking to build an EV with a 1976 Ford Courier. I picked this truch because this was the first truck I ever owned. I thought it would be nice to those memories alive.

So I'm looking at the following....

Zilla LV controller 1000A
Warp 9 motor @ Running 144V
Optima Yellow Top batteries

Now I have a question, what makes one choose between 6v,8v, and 12v batteries? Amp hours? Weight? If you have an EV tell me why you chose your batteries?

I'm in the process of removing the ICE now. (This won't take very long) Then I'm going to get everything prep'd for the componets.

I'm looking to achive a range of 60 miles with a top end of 75-80 MPH. Of course running the Zilla @ 1000A will deplete me very quickly, so maybe throttling this back a bit. Any ideas would be helpful.

I can fab just about anything, welding, bending, etc. And can machine most of my own parts so putting this together won't be bad. But over all I'm looking to spend approx. $5500 for the conversion. I'm sure I'll go over this.

Any ideas for my build?

-Rob C
Welcome Rob!

Sounds like you have a plan. A truck is a good choice if you want to get good range. There may be a few problems with your selections though. The manufacturing of the Zilla is kindof in hibernation right now. You will not be able to order one. This may change, but we are not sure. The motor should be a good fit and the voltage should give you decent performance. You may want to spend some time familiarizing yourself with battery limitations. Cylindrical AGM's are great for performance because they can discharge at high rates of current. The problem with Optima yellow tops, is that they won't get you the 60 mile range you are after. You may have to carry 1600 or so lbs of lead to get even close to that number.

It's an evolution in thinking. Spend some time. Read. There is lots here and a lot of very knowledgeable folks. I'm still in the process of building mine,...so there is plenty I don't know. The nice thing about this site is that there are all sorts of ppl with different knowledge bases to help you.

Dig in!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The big tradeoff with pickups is you can carry a lot of battery very easily (especially if you are willing to carry them in the bed) but the aerodynamics is not as good a car that is otherwise the same size/weight. The courier is a very compact pickup and a great choice among older pickups though I suspect.

So if you are trying to get a 60 mile capability at 55mph I would think about if there are any car chassis out there that might work well for you. If most of your driving is going to be off highway then the courier is an excellent choice.

Keep in mind with controllers the amps rating is the peak amps. Cruising at a constant speed you will be using the same amps in an otherwise identical car regardless of whether you have a 400 amp curtis or a Z2K. Controller amps affects acceleration, not range.

I second the comments regarding your battery choice. If your budget allows, go large-format lithium. Your other option is a lot of flooded lead acid (6V golf cart batteries) When calculating your battery size requirements be sure to factor in peukert, safe DOD and expected ambient temperature.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also doing a Ford Courier. 1974, though I also own a 1972 and 1976 courier.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dn5ptfs_4gnnwwwhn is the website for my conversion... coming along very slowly..... :) I think they make a great truck -- relatively light, but with a large payload (more than a new Ford Ranger, oddly... don't know that I'd trust the brakes with the full rated 1400lbs payload)

I'm currently using a NiCad battery bank, but will probably eventually upgrade to a large format lithium bank, in order to combat my 4000 feet of vertical elevation gain between work and home -- only 24 miles... but...:eek:

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Those are really cute little trucks! 6 bolt hubs too, I'm impressed.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts