DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all this is my first post here. I have a 2009 Zap (4 wheel flat bed) that currently runs off 120V DC. It has 10 12V deep cycle batteries 110AH so I am figuring its a 13.2 kWh pack. Each battery weighs 67.2 lbs so I am at 672lbs.
Lately I am only able to get ~8 miles off a charge before power really starts dropping past half way mark so I am considering buying a used EV pack to make a custom 120VDC Lithium pack.

I have been looking at 2011 - 2015 used Nissan Leaf packs people have reconfigured (on youtube) and am thinking of this:
I could reconfigure pack to use 18 each of the 7.6V 65ah 'modules' into a two 136.8V 65ah pack's for a total of 130ah at 136.8V, ~17kWh and 301.32 lbs.

I have two main questions, 1) does this make sense, and 2) Is it possible to reprogram the Nissan's battery management system to 'manage' such a pack and if not whats the best way to make one?
Since this is a work truck ideally I would like to have options for public charging. (Right now it has a 120vac onboard charger with a 120v inlet.

Looking for info and ideas
Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
6,117 Posts
Sounds like an excellent idea!
Your old lead acid pack was 13.2 kWh - but only at a 20 hour rate
In an EV you actually had less than 6 kWh available -
So going to Lithium will give you much more than you think - your proposed pack will give you three times the range you had when your lead acids were new

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like an excellent idea!
Your old lead acid pack was 13.2 kWh - but only at a 20 hour rate
In an EV you actually had less than 6 kWh available -
So going to Lithium will give you much more than you think - your proposed pack will give you three times the range you had when your lead acids were new
Interesting thank you. I'll have to read up more on the 'hour rate' is that the same as the C rate?
I am looking at 2 different used Leaf packs on ebay one is a 2011 that they will take $2700 for the other is a 2015 they are asking $4200 for (USD).
I still need to figure out a charger for it and how much that will cost.
Any recommendations?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts