DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 93 Geo Metro that was converted to electric perhaps two decades ago. Its a beautiful job, and everything works as it should. It has a 144vdc 500amp Curtis controller. It was modified to hold twelve 12vdc flooded lead acid batteries.
We installed eight 12vdc AGM batteries and went for a romp. The car had sat for 10 years in a garage, and we weren't sure if it would work, but it worked great.

Now, we would like ideas for new batteries. We have been shopping for LiFePO4 or Li-ion, but have not found drop in replacements with the same form factor as the boxes already in the car. Also, we haven't found any batteries that can be series up to 144vdc.
Are there any batteries sold in the group 31 form factor that can be placed in series up to 144vdc, with the Li-ion or LiFePO4 chemistry?

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Group 31 is 13" Long x 6-13/16" Wide x 9-1/2" H. By using quantity 4 of the Calb CA 100 AH Lithium Iron cells end-to-end, this module will be 11" L x 5-3/4 W x 8-1/2" H., and will replace one of your group 31's.

Each cell voltage is 3.2 volts, so a module will be 12.8 volts and a set of 12 will be 153.6 volts, just right for yorr Curtis 1231 controller.

Other lithium modules from used production cars can also be used but your size of the battery box (ex) must be known.

I use the Calb 100's in my 1994 Metro.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Russco
Thanks for the tip! What's the best place to get CALB batteries? Inexpensive would be helpful too. What's a normal price for a cell?
Our Geo has twelve group 31 boxes. I suspect we'll have to build a series of CALB cells like you suggested.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The picture below shows 4 Calb cells together. Each group of 4 cells will fit in one of your existing group 31 boxes with some space left over. Fill the space with strips of wood or plastic sheet. And there are many more ways to go.

Calb 100 AH gray cells are on eBay. There's a new version that's smaller, lighter, and blue but the older taller gray version will fit your existing battery boxes better.

Control panel Gadget Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my! I just went to Remy and their AGM 31 Series is now priced at $366 for the 100amphour. We just got four CALBs delivered for $396.
Can CALBs be used as a engine starting battery? I don't want to buy any more expensive LA batteries, only to have them last two years.
The old tractor is getting it's magneto, and hand crank put back in....whew. (end of rant)
What's the best thing to charge the CALB batteries with?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts