DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I live in the UK and have started restoring a 1963 Austin Healy Sprite Mk2. The car's never going to be worth a lot, so would make a great electric powered classic. I love the thought of some much needed increase in acceleration. The car doesn't need to do more than 80 mph but requires a minimum range of 80 miles.

Does anyone know if this has been done before? Any suggestion where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks
Karl

PS I've always been a petrol head, but having recently placed a deposit on a new Mini e for my wife, I have to admit electric is the future. My daily driver is a 2020 Volvo XC40 T4 (I need to tow a caravan), my other classics are a fully restored 1965 Jaguar 3.4 Mk2 & 1967 Hillman Imp.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Welcome!

Sprites are rare, but a few people have converted Midgets, so there are some examples of what can work. Most of them are from at least several years ago, so they use relatively old technology.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Brian

Thanks for the reply. I did take a quick look through some of the previous MG Midget postings, but like you say most are several years old and things have moved on quite a lot in that time.

If anyone knows of a simple up to date guide for DIY conversions it would be greatly appreciated. Preferably one for converting a front engine rear wheel drive vehicle.

Cheers

·
Administrator
6,310 Posts
Converting is easy - slap a 9 inch forklift motor in place of the gearbox - open out the transmission housing if you need to

The problem is your 80 miles range
You will have difficulty fitting enough batteries to get that much range

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Duncan. In reality I suppose a range of 45-50 miles would be OK, as I could always recharge at work before making my return commute journey. I like the forklift motor idea.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
Most of the existing Midget/Sprite conversions use "forklift" motors. Most keep the transmission to provide reduction gearing; going without the transmission may allow the motor to tuck into the transmission tunnel, but torque may be inadequate with a 9" motor (Duncan uses a larger motor in his car); it's like driving in top (1:1 or "direct") gear all of the time.

·
Administrator
6,310 Posts
Most of the existing Midget/Sprite conversions use "forklift" motors. Most keep the transmission to provide reduction gearing; going without the transmission may allow the motor to tuck into the transmission tunnel, but torque may be inadequate with a 9" motor (Duncan uses a larger motor in his car); it's like driving in top (1:1 or "direct") gear all of the time.
I do have an 11 inch motor in my "Device" - but it gives an amazing amount of torque - My expectation is that a 9 inch motor with 500 amps will be easily able to break traction in a Midget/Sprite -

When I was building my car I bought a gearbox - when I calculated that in 4th It would break traction I put the gearbox to one side

This is my build thread

My range is not quite good enough for you - but that is probably down to the awful aerodynamics - and I just have batteries under the bonnet - to get your 50 miles you may need some in the boot as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update on my build plans. I've now got a new old stock Netgain Warp 9 motor. Thoughts are to run the motor at 144v from Nissan Leaf battery modules. The motor will be connect to the existing gearbox minus the clutch mechanism. This would give me some different ratios to play around with, although I suspect I wouldn't be able to change gear whilst moving. Car will weight about 750-800kg. Hoping for about 80 mph, fairly rapid acceleration and a min range of 80 miles. Does this seem to compute?

Question is does anyone know of a reliable controller and BMS that won't break the bank for my set up? It seems this is relatively old technology & most manufacturers are concentrating on AC controllers, so I'm struggling finding a decent one. Soliton 1 (1000A) looks good but is expensive, Kelly appear to do a controller (800A) to suit at a reasonable price, but reviews on the net aren't great. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
607 Posts
A 24kWh Leaf pack will squeeze you to 80mi, but only if you eeease on down the road. Acceleration will be limited by the amount of torque you can deliver to the transmission without blowing it up.

Consider shelling out for the 2:1 TorqueBox to connect to a driveshaft. The MG transmission is weak, leaky, heavy, and you're looking at $1-2k for an adapter as it is. The TorqueBox and driveshaft will run you double that, but, well. It will be a better drive.

For a leaf controller and BMS, I'm using Thunderstruck stuff that has proven to be simple, capable, and reliable.

A Sprite is on my list! Give us the step-by-step.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts